How to compare stovetop temps? Inserts with blowers vs freestanding.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodpileOCD

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2011
Central NC
I've wondered about this for awhile and referred to it in the in the thread about cat stoves and burning off dirty glass.

My buck has (for lack of better terminology) a steel shroud that envelopes the firebox with some undetermined amount of air space in between. I have placed my mag thermometer on the right front of the bay window. It has been there long enough now for me to have a good idea of what the stove is doing which is the main point of having it anyway.

The Rutland shows the burn zone between 275 and 575. I usually run between 250 and 450 and if it is really cookin I'll get to 550 but again this is on the side of the stove not on a single sheet steel or cast top.

Anybody have any info or educated guesses on the difference between my setup with this thermometer and one that sits on the stovetop proper. I'm guessing 200 -300 degrees but thats just a WAG not even a SWAG. Just trying to correlate in my pea brain how hot you guys are burning when you say your stove is crusin at 500. Also wondering how they can put a "burn zone" on there when they say it can be mounted in any of several different locations that can vary by several hundred degrees.

Just got in the mail an IR thermometer so i can compare different places on the stove and also see how close the magnetic one is. Not today however as it is currently 73 degrees in NC

Attachments

• 399a8149e7a06865a34dd110.L.jpg
    399a8149e7a06865a34dd110.L.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 175
Status
Not open for further replies.