How to convert oil/propane/nat gas burners to the savings???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Snowleopard, I don't think I read your post wrong at all. In fact, I was not answering your post! I was just stating my feelings on the subject of male vs. female. Believe me, I did not take offense at anyone's post and least of all, yours.

Keep smiling! I'm heading out for a bike ride.

You quoted my post in your reply, Dennis, and then addressed your comments to me, Eileen, and others, so you can perhaps understand my assumption.

Enjoy your bike ride. I'm going out to swing the Fiskars. It's 7:40 here, and pushing 70 already. Dang! Looks like a cooker . . .

snowleopard said:
Dennis, sounds like I have once again failed to make myself clear. This isn't about any arm-wrestling competition between men and women.

I took Dixie's comment as contrasting the women who post here with those who walk over and turn up the thermostat when they get cold--not women contrasted with men. I thought she was saying that we are doing something that a lot of women wouldn't attempt--just as the men here are, which is the point (in a way) of the original thread, and I acknowledged the compliment of being part of a kind of exclusive group. There have been times when heating with wood is challenging and difficult, and without hearth.com, it would have been a lonely road to walk.

And the comment in my last paragraph was also sincere-I started reading hearth.com cautiously, aware that females made up a minority, and wondering if there was a place for a newbie such as myself. But here, I have never felt unwelcome based on my gender.

That "Here's to us" comment was inclusive of all of us--male and female, newbie and oldtimer, hydraulic and hand-splitter, and yes, even the pellet burners. Heating with wood, and doing it right is a commitment. I spent yesterday getting out there and chopping wood off and on until 11 pm in the heat and the skeets, and I plan on going out there again in a few minutes. Coming on here is how I work myself up to going out there when I'm tired to the bone and still have work to do. And of all the folks here, you're probably the one that most motivates me--I think, "C'mon, get off the computer and get out there--gotta make Dennis proud."

Just thought you should know that.

Actually, I was complaing about the SO, and went off on a tangent ;-P

this is just too funny for words . . . I think we should all go for bicycle rides about now . . .

NH_Wood said:
And increase competition for scrounges?............I don't think so........ :cheese:

You got it friend!

The only conversions I try are people who burn with open fireplaces. I like the open hearth as well, but if you're not burning for heat why do it in your house? Wood seems like a great idea but it ain't cheap by any means. I don't pay for wood, or even have to leave my yard to get it and I can't see the whole project making me more than $3-$4 per hour. A lot of work and a lot of risk for a very small dollerable return. But its more than money.

snowleopard said:
this is just too funny for words . . . I think we should all go for bicycle rides about now . . .

I can agree with that one! I didn't go far yesterday (16 miles) but it was a nice ride and I even beat the storm.

Backwoods Savage said:
snowleopard said:

I can agree with that one! I didn't go far yesterday (16 miles) but it was a nice ride and I even beat the storm.

I bought what was supposed to be a three-cord load of birch about six weeks ago, cut to 18". When I got it, I realized that several of the pieces were cut too long--young man, just started out in the business, said he had some friends working for him who got a little chain-saw happy and were cutting it anywhichway. He said that if I'd set aside the stuff that was too long, he'd cut it down to length on the next run.

When I started splitting it--and it split like butter right then--I realized the problem was worse than I thought, and I had to measure every stinkin' piece of wood for length. Turned out to be more than a quarter of the delivery was too long for my stove. I didn't have time to deal with it then. Finally got to it, and called the kid, let him know that the sorting job was done, and he shorted me by about a cord; cord-and-a-half counting the stuff that was too long. He seemed dubious at first, but then said he would put it right. This was a pity, because I had been counting on that load to take care of my overnight/severe-cold heating needs for next winter, and it would have been ready by mid-winter if I'd gotten it split then. I've got one cord that was split in March that will get us started on the winter, and that should be ready on time.

So now I'm trying to beat my own storm; get this stuff whacked up before the punk forms, and be ready for the next load that's coming in that I'll have to get split. And I've got another cord+ that we're in the middle of getting moved and stacked. A chimney to clean (since the stuff I was burning at the end of the season wasn't optimal). Gutters to clean on the south side of the house. Lawns to rake. Growing boxes to build. And the list goes on. Working until I'm too beat to move, then rest up and do it again. This is where I take my breaks, because everyone here gets the hustle--it inspires me to get going and get 'er done so we can go play, too.

hearthnleisure said:
My question to the hearth.com public is...what is wrong with your neighbor? Why is he paying 2-3 times as much as you are to heat your home? Whether it be wood or pellet, have you tried to convince a friend, family member or neighbor to check out this site and make a decision that will change their lives forever???

As stated before . . . I figure heating with wood isn't for everyone and it's not my job to tell another person why they should heat with wood vs. oil, propane, natural gas , etc. . . . it's their choice . . . just as heating with wood is my choice. I save money . . . they save time.

I tell people heating with wood is a real pain in the rear. Tell them stories about snakes and spiders in the wood piles, the dangers of poorly stacked piles falling over, and how termites and carpenter ants hitch rides in the house on the wood. Then I offer to take those infested, dangerous piles of wood off their hands...

ChocoLab said:
I tell people heating with wood is a real pain in the rear. Tell them stories about snakes and spiders in the wood piles, the dangers of poorly stacked piles falling over, and how termites and carpenter ants hitch rides in the house on the wood. Then I offer to take those infested, dangerous piles of wood off their hands...

I like the way you think. What about that man in BC who was trapped for six days under a fallen spruce, and lay there listening to wolves howl in the distance?

Folks who chop off feet and fingers? Danger of gangrene from splinters? Burning their houses down? How much houses stink from sour creosote? Kids freezing in the far bedroom?

Good fellow. Carry on.

Status
Not open for further replies.