How to create level surface for cement board?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HappyWarrior

Dec 16, 2017
Atlantic Canada
*Public health warning*: This is a very image-rich post, just to make it as comprehensive and context-rich as possible. May induce dizziness; please check with your insurance company before proceeding :p

Here is the fireplace as it originally looked (this morning!):

We are having an insert put in next week and the current fireplace isn't legal, so I ripped out the mantel so we can add a higher one, and re-tile with brick veneer and also build a brick hearth.

Here is how things looked after a morning's work:

I'm going to be using the original mantel top (higher, to reach the required clearance) and also add new, slimmer mantel legs.

I also need to repair the big hole above the old tile, where the drywall was damp and ripped away.

Time for another picture! New additions will look like this:

Next planned step is to add cement board and tile the below area with the new brick veneer:

*It's at this point in the post that my wife looks over my shoulder and reminds me that it's "mantel" and not "mantle". For clarity, I'm not referring to the Earth's crust....

The issue I have, as the below photos show, is that the brick sticks out quite a ways from the old drywall (and the new drywall piece, when installed). It was well hidden by the old mantel legs, but won't be after I put the new slimmer legs in:

Finally...heck...my question!

When the new matel/legs/drywall are installed, how can I level out the rest of the surface so I can fit the cement board to the cross-hatched area, a few pics above?

Is there some kind of mud I can apply to cover both the drywall and the brick, to smooth into a single surface?

Or should be doing the entire thing another way? I've never done anything else like this before in my life, so it's all new.

Thanks!

Attachments

• How to create level surface for cement board?
    IMG-1922-DKIeeYcn.1514328479.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 150
    IMG-1923-aP5T5Jb5.1514328581.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 121
    IMG-J-sCkcdknu.1514329453.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 168
    IMG-J2-KoTbvnbX.1514330006.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 123
    IMG_1922.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 821
    IMG_1923.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 263
    IMG_J.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 445
    IMG_J2.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 176
Last edited by a moderator:
I think you mean "plumb" to the surface. My first thought would be to have a larger surround bump out to match the farthest out brick. Make it decorative. As if it was meant to be. Otherwise you'd be grinding down the bricks and your wife would be grinding you down from the dust created.

Last edited: