How to cure Stove Bright paint/not hot enough?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jotel me this

Feeling the Heat
Sep 21, 2018
Pennsylvania
I sanded down my entire Travis Xtrordinair, doors, frame, etc and applied a new coat of Stove Bright paint. It looks brand new. Problem is, the instuctions on the can says it cures through heat. But, theres no way for me to get the front faces of the doors and surrounding face plate hot enough for it to reach curing temperatures (its simply not designed to get that hot).

Do I just have to accept the fact that the paint will be 'air dried' only and not 'cured'? The can says once its up to curing temps, the paint will smoke indicating it is curing. I simply cant get it hot enough to cure. I do get a slight off-gassing smell, but nothing close to seeing smoke coming off.

Any thoughts? Will the paint not be as protective if it doesnt reach curing temps? The most I can make make the face of the doors and face plate reach is 200F if Im lucky. Its been burning all day, everything adjusted to burn as hot as possible.

Thank you.

I sanded down my entire Travis Xtrordinair, doors, frame, etc and applied a new coat of Stove Bright paint. It looks brand new. Problem is, the instuctions on the can says it cures through heat. But, theres no way for me to get the front faces of the doors and surrounding face plate hot enough for it to reach curing temperatures (its simply not designed to get that hot).

Do I just have to accept the fact that the paint will be 'air dried' only and not 'cured'? The can says once its up to curing temps, the paint will smoke indicating it is curing. I simply cant get it hot enough to cure. I do get a slight off-gassing smell, but nothing close to seeing smoke coming off.

Any thoughts? Will the paint not be as protective if it doesnt reach curing temps? The most I can make make the face of the doors and face plate reach is 200F if Im lucky. Its been burning all day, everything adjusted to burn as hot as possible.

Thank you.
It will be fine that's what it was painted with to start with

Yes, no problem. There are parts of most stoves painted with Stove Brite that don't get over 200º.

The paint will probably look best on the parts of the stove that don't get hot enough to cure. Especially the satin but also the flat Stove Brite has a pretty sheen when freshly painted, but when you get it hot enough to smoke the paint, that luster vanishes.