How to dispose of a small amount of gas/oil mix?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I'm sure this question is asked every year, but how does one dispose of a small amount of gas/oil mix?
I'm talking about draining the tanks in the trimmer and chainsaw plus a very small amount in a a can.
I'm thinking of diluting it in a tank of gasoline in the car.
Good idea?

Yup. Run it in your car.

Run it in the car, or my preference because the engines seem less fussy, and don't have any emissions stuff that could get screwed up is to put it the gas for any of your 4-stroke OPE - lawn tractors, snowblower, splitter, what ever...

Gooserider

Small amounts I will use for parts washing and then toss it on the burn pile mixed with my waste oil.

That is how I start my bark/weed/misc scrap fires in the barrel. Yes weeds...as the end of the season weeds only seed in my compost pile. It is not very often that I have waste gas so it is very easy to use it up in one fire or two.

What?????....nobody on here has a drunkin camp fire parties????

Hey bubba ! Watch this **it...............VVAAAWOOOFFFFFFF

just kiddin

Add to full car/truck tank.

Gator eye said:
What?????....nobody on here has a drunkin camp fire parties????

Hey bubba ! Watch this **it...............VVAAAWOOOFFFFFFF

just kiddin

Properly mixed with bad diesel, that is perfectly acceptable and common practice in our pit.

Waste gasoline! No way.

Add a gallon or two to each nearly full tank of your car or truck.

Valhalla said:
Waste gasoline! No way.

Add a gallon or two to each nearly full tank of your car or truck.

VVAAAWOOOFFFFFFF is never a waste of gas. :lol:

If you have left over mix then go use your saw! it's kinda like the trimmer i just put in storage (don't worry, it's a cheapo WM one, and I'm getting a new one because i'm tired of the headaches) I was about 3/4 of the way done with the trimming last week, and it ran out of gas. I dropped it in the nearest sheltered area by the house and am calling it done for the year. I'll finish that last 1/4 next spring, lol.

I bought an Echo string trimmer this summer. Its great, but you need PPE with it. It imbeds stuff in you pant legs (or legs if wearing shorts).

You're not going to use any of these tools next year ?

I must do something wrong because I've never had gas 'go bad' over the Winter.

My only complaint with this new ethanol gas is the mold growing on the top of my plastic gas cans.

Fuel saver, stored in a gas can, gas will be ready and waiting next year. I keep 25 gal of gas this way, and 15 gals of diesel untreated all the time. Live kinda far out and when the power goes out the local gas station goes dark. No fuel and 35 miles to town dont mix to well.

May not be popular with the green folks but it makes the best weed killer I've used and is cheaper. :)

all great ideas

it does go bad, so dont assume it doesn't
& you wont have 2 yr old bad gas ever

what's this with mold growing on top of the ethanol gas cans ? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.