how to do electric outlet in existing fireplace for insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I feel kind of silly asking this one but.......... I have a heatilator with an electric fan wired in, somehow and the switch is on a wall behind the fireplace in a closet. So when this insert is installed into there, does the cord just hang out on the hearth and you have to look at a tacky cord all the time? Where is the cord usually put, in existing fireplaces?

A popular question and nobody ever likes the answer. Cord attached appliances have to be plugged into an outlet that is accessible in the same room as the appliance.

Tacky looking cord has to stay.

Some MFG's have a kit so you can drill through the masonry and use conduit that attaches to a custom j-box inside the insert. I don't believe Heatilator is one of them though. For a fireplace, the fireplace would have to be prewired, or you'll have to bust into the wall.

wouldn't it be too hot for the cord, inside the fireplace, once the insert is in there? I would like to prewire, if possible............
BeGreen, I think I probably will go with the first link you sent. Thanks!

Install instructions should tell you if cord can be inside of the fireplace or not. My guess is it can not due to the heat.

My cord exits behind the surround and is attached to an extension cord that is hidden behind a cast iron butterfly a friend gave to me for my garden....It is a great cover up and very useful when I have to tighten the ends on my pokers....dang things loosen up on me all the time :coolsmirk:

Cast iron butterfly! In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida mam!

IMG_0480.jpg

I installed a socket just out of view of this pic. I have a set of fireplace tools in front of the cord.

I had the same dilemma when I put in my insert. I racked my brain and fretted over it for awhile. After installing and running the cord along the hearth, I forgot all about it. You will too.

Look to the left of the stove on the hearth & you can see the control and cord for the blower...I sweated about it beforehand, came up with nothing, put it in the way it is, and I never notice it. Rick

Attachments

• stovecat2.jpg
    stovecat2.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 799
perplexed said:
...when I have to tighten the ends on my pokers....dang things loosen up on me all the time.

Man...go down to the local auto parts store and get a tiny tube of Locktite Blue...take the handle off, put a couple drops on the threads, tighten it up snug, and you'll never have to to do it again. Rick

I'm telling you, Rick..... I have learned all kinds of things from you....... I am thinking I just better take a drive over the mountain and have you teach me everything I need to know, about chopping the wood, stacking, and burning........ If the wife wants to put on some soup, that would be ok, also :)

woodsie8 said:
I'm telling you, Rick..... I have learned all kinds of things from you....... I am thinking I just better take a drive over the mountain and have you teach me everything I need to know, about chopping the wood, stacking, and burning........ If the wife wants to put on some soup, that would be ok, also :)

Actually, she's got some soup on right now. Come on over whenever you want! Rick

We may take you up on that :) We have to make a trip over to Klamath to see grandma.................. Just remember, I may be asking for some splitting lessons.......... thankls for the welcome...........

woodsie8 said:
We may take you up on that :)

Just PM me beforehand, and we'll figger it out. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.