how to enlarge header (carpentry)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize option #1 could be done by sistering LVL to the kitchen side of the ex header. It still requires disconnecting (actually, cutting off 3-1/2" from) the kitchen joists; but the rafters would not need to be disconnected at all, which should make bracing against spread easier, nor would a temp wall be required on that side. This then actually centers the new composite beam better on the subfloor girder, than it was before.

As you point out: I now have to pay close attention to the fasteners between the ex header and the LVL.
Yeah, I'm afraid it's gotta be option #1 (modified). Because, I've carefully checked the position of the subfloor girder relative to the existing header (and its plumb supports) and the supports actually are completely off to the side of the girder. Sorry stuff - monstrous shear forces on the subfloor plywood ! So by sistering LVL to the kitchen side of the ex header (cutting off the ends of the ceiling joists, and re-attaching with joist hangers), I get it, and the new support walls, more or less centered over the girder.

I'm thinking I can solve the support problem (the fact that half the total big gable rafter load could be coming down at a point, where the ex header is spliced, near the center of the LVL); the LVL can take it, but how to make the connection ? Instead, I'll take the big gable rafter loads off the ex header. I'll pound joist hangers underneath the edges of the rafters, right where they rest on the ex header (do a little Sawzall'ing if needed), so the face of the joist hanger (that nails to a beam) is flush with the kitchen side of the ex header. Then sister a 14" wide LVL beam to the kitchen side of the ex header, reattach the cut-off kitchen ceiling joists, and nail the joist hangers that I put under the rafters to the other face of the 14". Maybe jack up the ex header a tiny fraction of an inch, so the rafter loads come down on the joist hangers instead of the ex header. A single 14" LVL can easily take the load, and the ex header should provide good lateral bracing; I might decide to use two 14" LVLs though; centers things over the girder better.

They'll be small joist hangers (since the 14" will stick up only 4" or so above the ex header), but right now, those rafters are simply sitting on top of the ex header, toe-nailed with no other bracing (except the roof decking 1/2" OSB). So a 2x4-sized joist hanger will be an improvement. And I can nail a 2x4 along the tops of the rafter ends, to provide some better bracing.

Status
Not open for further replies.