how to figure dhw heat load?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsmaster

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 25, 2010
N.W. Ohio
Trying to calculate design heat load. found calculater for buildings but not for dhw. Can someone Give me the formula or refer me to a calculater?

There isn't any formula - it depends on how often and long showers are, dishwashing technique, DHW tank insulation, and a bunch of things that are hard to measure. A rule of thumb is that an average family of four uses around 60,000 BTU/day, but there's a lot of variation.

The "industry" rule of thumb is 20 gallons per person per day. I thnink that is quite a bit high. Maybe 20 gallons for the first two, 15 for additional. It really varies from family to famiuly. Teenagers cab skew the calculation a lot :)

As for the amount of energy required. Heating 80 gallons from 55 °F to 140 °F

8.33 x gallons X (140-55)

So 56,644 BTUs required.

Most residential water heaters have a 35-40,000 BTU/hr burner. High recovery units 60- 75,000 BTU/hr burners just for an idea.

A 4X8 solar collector can provide roughly 15- 20,000 BTU per DAY depending on location, time of year, delta t, etc

hr

AMEN on the teenager skew. I have a customer who called about a year ago claiming that the 80gl indirect was not performing as it once did. We had installed it about 7 years ago when the 4 kids in the house were ages 5-11. Worked fine then but seemed to not "put out" like it used to.................Hmmmmmm........I wonder why?

Here's a site that has a wealth of hydronic info on it and everyone should bookmark. Check out pages 39-42 for the DHW calulations based on occupancy and other household factors. Add at least 30% for teenagers. :)

http://www.burnham.com/PDF/htghelper.pdf

PS: If you find it useful, please take a couple minutes to drop a note to the good folks at Burnham Boilers to say thanks for sharing all the knowledge in that little book on the www . You can also order a hard copy from them directly for nominal cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.