1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

How to find an installer who actually knows about wood furnaces?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by DeanBrown3D, Nov 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeanBrown3D

DeanBrown3D New Member

Loc:
    Princeton, NJ
    Is there some kind of certification that I can ask for when calling about the furnace I am about to have installed? Its a whole house wood furnace that's going to sit in series downstream of an electric heat pump (Trane) forced-air system, and I don't want some idiot getting the wiring wrong and burning down the house.

I'm in central NJ, if anyone can make me a recommendation.

Thanks

Dean

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    Really, you have two separate skill sets involved. Any heating contractor ought to be able to hook up your hot air distribution. But when it comes to connecting the actual furnace to the chimney, a regular p/h guy is not going to touch that. If you don't make the chimney connection yourself, find a good woodstove installer to do it for you. Then call the other guy.
  3. johnsopi

johnsopi Minister of Fire

Loc:
    MD near DE&PA;
    I helped my heating contractor tie in the duct work. I was going to do it myself but after helping him I'm glad he did it not my me.
    He billed me @ 10hrs. He was there 7 hrs and he had bent what could at his shop 65$ an hour,so it was 650$ to install.I ran the wiring, and hooked up the smokepipe.
    Hooking into the cental air duct is about the same for wood furance or a oil one it seemed.
  4. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    Yeah, that's my point. Most conventional heating professionals won't have anything to do with connecting a wood-burning appliance to the chimney, but the rest of it is pretty routine.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.