How to fix a stove leak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brianbeech

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2011
Southern IN
I have a 1977 (possibly 1976) Jotul 118 - green enameled - cigar shaped box stove.

Recently I had the door open for a few minutes after loading some wood in and the way the light was shining, I could see a little tiny stream of smoke emanating from the back-top-left of the stove. It is not enough smoke to even make the smoke alarm go off, but that is because when the door is shut, the draft is strong enough that nothing escapes.

I'm concerned because I imagine when the door is closed that the air is being pulled in there and may possibly heat the stove where it's not designed to pull in that much heat.

The question is, can I simply put some stove cement on the inside and plug that hole, or do I have to rebuild my stove. I'm not sure how the stove is built in that area. No gaskets have ever been changed, until last week when I did the top plate gasket, but it is leaking at the top-rear of the side-plate where the side plate meets the back plate.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

(sorry about the bad pic, at work and just wanted to show the location).

Attachments

• stove_leak.jpg
    stove_leak.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 398
I'd try the cement first. Do a few break in fires to set it and check it frequently to see how it is holding up.

This is seem and not a crack, right?

If it's built like the 602, this is just an overlapping corner seam. Clean it off and work some stove cement into the inside and outside seam. Wipe the outside surface clean. Let it cure per directions. That should hold you for the winter. If you decide to rebuild next summer, it's not a big deal. These are simple stoves. A rebuild takes a few hours at the most, even with some broken bolts.

It's helpful I find to get cement in the caulking tubes, then inject or squirtit into the seam that way. Hardware stores don't always have the tubes but a specialty hearth retailer likely will.

Status
Not open for further replies.