How to fix this pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rlltiderll

Jan 27, 2018
Indiana
My wife and I recently bought a home with a wood stove. I have been using it with some success, but am still trying to learn how to troubleshoot issues.
Last week the pipe came apart where it exits the room thru the ceiling. How would I go about fixing this? It looks like the tape was the only thing holding it together. The male end is not long enough to reach the female end.
Picture attached for reference.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 1517076290615223127540.jpg
    1517076290615223127540.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 292
You need to get a professional to look at this. It looks to be a VERY dangerous and unsafe connection. It appears you have single wall stove pipe connecting to a single wall flue going through your ceiling...no thimble going through combustionable materials. Please don't use your stove until you get this looked at by a pro.

What he said

Yeah that's not right at all! Do not light that stove until this is corrected!
As stated above, looks like a job for a pro to come look at...something is very hinky there

WOW...dont use that!

The joint looks like it was under a great deal of stress. Duct tape never should be used on a stove pipe. Looks like the ceiling support box needs to be replaced and the stove pipe properly aligned so that the connection is not under stress. Definitely don't use now.

Yeah I sorta figured that was the case. Thanks for all the replies! I had a guy come out to chimney sweep the pipe this fall and I think he may have done something weird. I will update this thread after I get a pro out to look at it.

What some people will call safe is unbelievable. :oops::oops:

Egads!