how to get more air to blow thru registers?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bulldawg

Jan 21, 2009
southern ohio
I recently installed a 1557 and can barely feel any air coming from the registers. I put one 8" duct from my stove to a branch of main duct from gas furnace. When i turn gas furnace blower on my stove smokes. What are the factory settings on the blowers/thermodisc?

My understanding is that you need a damper to prevent the gas furance from blowing into your wood furnace. Do you have such a thing in your install?

bulldawg said:
I recently installed a 1557 and can barely feel any air coming from the registers. I put one 8" duct from my stove to a branch of main duct from gas furnace. When i turn gas furnace blower on my stove smokes. What are the factory settings on the blowers/thermodisc?
if your getting smoke you need to turn the setting up to atleast 100 degrees

bulldawg said:
Wouldn't a damper prevent the air from my stove from getting to the main ducts?
one way damper it will allow just one driction to flow

can you post some pic's of your install?

bulldawg said:
how do you change the settings?
there is a dial on the back of the furance that has degrees on it make sure the pointer on the lowest degrees is pointing to atleast 100-105

bulldawg said:
can someone show me a picture of this dial on a 1557?
if your looking at the back of the furance its on the left hand side about 2 ft. up there is a dial that has degree setting on it not sure how you could miss it (couldnt find any pic's of it)

smokinj said:
bulldawg said:
can someone show me a picture of this dial on a 1557?
if your looking at the back of the furance its on the left hand side about 2 ft. up there is a dial that has degree setting on it not sure how you could miss it

May have a cover on it so you won't be able to see dial. Should be a small box about 3"x 5"

Also you may want to try leaving your cellar door open for better air circulation.

can you post pic's of your install

bulldawg said:
I have a 1557 with a thermodisc i don't think it has a dial.
ok Iam with you now! If you put a draft inducer kit on it comes with that upgrade

If you are getting smoke when the central furnace kicks on, you are pulling return air from the room with the wood furnace. This is a no no. If you do have returns around or near the woodfurnace, you need to close those. You are producing a negative draft with the woodfurnace. If it gets too bad, you could get co2 or such. I use my central furnace's blower only, and have no effect. When I reducted the house I used no returns in the basement where the central furnace and the wood furnace are. If you do as above and crack a door open and the smoke goes away, theres your problem. As far as heating is concerned, 1 8" duct will do nothing, especially with the central furnaces blower running. You need both ducts in the main trunk with a damper for it to work properly. the thermodisc is set for around 110 off and 140 on. If you have a limit/control I would set it for 140 on, 90 off. That way your blowers will run more. The lower the differencial the less run time on the blowers. A steady supply of warm air isn't a bad thing, as long as the house stays warm.

you need to put a baffle in

I can barely feel the air at the far end of the house, so I was worried, then the temp went to -5 and every room was cozy, the far end was maybe only 72 when the main rooms were 74, but so what. the low air flow might be enough, just check that before fixing a problem you might not have.

is a baffle and a one way damper the same thing? Also can the blowers of the central furnace and the wood furnace be wired together to run and turn off at the same time?

bulldawg said:
is a baffle and a one way damper the same thing? Also can the blowers of the central furnace and the wood furnace be wired together to run and turn off at the same time?
they both do the same thing

Status
Not open for further replies.