how to get more heat from insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

tumm21

Jul 16, 2011
North Jersey
I am trying to get the most heat out of my regency insert. It is on an interior chimney and I dont have a block off plate or roxul insulation above the stove. How much of a difference do you think it will make if I at least stuff insulation above the stove.

Mine is an exterior chimney and an inch from flush. I stuffed about 2 batts up in the smoke chamber and also cut a block off plate out of the Roxul too. I am not sure what really made the difference because I also leave my top surround plate off. So I am not sure because I don't burn with the top plate on for the surround....some would say it makes definite sense to but I don't know what I gained from just the blockoff.

I think it will make a significant difference. Lots of heat is going up that chimney: that's why they make block off plates. Your stove top is the hottest part of the stove (or insert).

I don't have an insert however I believe others who do will chime in soon enough.

Andrew

If the question is, 'will all this work be worth it'? The answer is yes. Most folks notice a substantial difference, especially with an exterior chimney. It's hard to heat the outdoors.

It made a big difference in my exterior chimney. In your case it may too. I noticed my first few years of buring I was not useing the best seasoned wood. I finally got ahead of my wood schedule and now burning 2+ years seasoned hard wood and it throws a lot more heat.

I changed a bunch of things at one time on my stove (liner, blockoff plate with insulation above it and better wood) so I can't say for sure the block off and insul. made a big difference but I can't imagine that it didn't. If you only reflect back 1/2 of the heat you are wasting up the chimney, it has to make a difference. I also took off the surround at the same time and am burning with out it and I think that is helping also. Search on "poor mans block off plate" and you will find pretty straight forward instructions on creating a 2 piece plate that is pretty simple to do.

Ours has the block off plate, surround, and sits 11 inches out onto the Hearth....it's 13 inches deep overall, so it's pretty much exposed....been like that since day one, we installed a blower on year two, and that made a world of difference in heating the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.