How to get rid of the creosote smell in fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Jones

Feeling the Heat
Oct 25, 2012
Kennewick, Washington
I'm still installing my new liner, so the stove isn't in the firebox yet. I keep getting whiffs of creosote though, when the wind blows through the liner that's hanging there. I don't have the side shroud pieces to my insert, so I was thinking of just installing without, and letting extra heat out of the firebox. I'm just worried once I get it all done and installed, and fire it up, it's going to stink like crazy. Is there any chemicals out there I can scrub this thing down with? I've already scraped it like crazy, but it's like embedded in the pores of the brick from having a slammer installed. What about painting it to seal the smell in? Is that going to stink for ever of paint fumes?

I don't suppose you could post a picture of the creosote? If there's enough to stink, it seems like you'd want this removed before putting in a liner (and if it's some 3rd stage monstrosity, heads up).

What's a slammer?

Meh. 3 cans of high temp paint later, and we'll see if it does the trick. If not, I guess I'll either have to buy the whole shroud for 350, and seal it up, or do like another guy did on here and seal the whole thing up with harde board.

Meh. 3 cans of high temp paint later, and we'll see if it does the trick. If not, I guess I'll either have to buy the whole shroud for 350, and seal it up, or do like another guy did on here and seal the whole thing up with harde board.
Did you have the flue and smoke chamber professionally cleaned? And by the way just painting over creosote will not fix the problem. It is still flammable and will still melt when it gets hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.