How to hide an OAK on a leg model stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprinter

Minister of Fire
Jul 1, 2012
SW Washington
I'd like to get a PE Alderlea which only comes with legs. I'm required to have an OAK (manufactured home) but the vent pipe may have to curve over to miss a floor joist. The stove location is very restricted due to ceiling and roof joists. What can I do to make this thing look decent, especially if I have to have a flex or angled pipe? I think the vent pipes are supposed to be 3" to meet requirements. A Super 27 is still a good option for us on a pedestal base, but I'd like to make an Alderlea work if possible.

It's supposed to be a 4" pipe on the t5. As long as the pipe is all to the rear of the stove it really isn't noticable. I used the semi rigid aluminum flex duct and didn't even paint it.

Take a look at my signature link to the OAK. On the heritage it is 3".

Or see an exhaust shop and get some stainless pipe and have it bent (one solid piece). Pipe it straight out the back (level exit) and when it turns, its a solid pipe (3" or 4" depending on what it takes) and looks clean and straight. You could paint it Black and make it match.

Or the 3" rigid duct sold at HD like HighBeam suggested works and looks good to. Solid straight lines always look better. IMO

I just walked around our stove. You would have to be lying on the floor to see around the back of it. I'd just flex duct it off a 90º attached to the bottom of the stove.

I just walked around our stove. You would have to be lying on the floor to see around the back of it. I'd just flex duct it off a 90º attached to the bottom of the stove.
It's supposed to be a 4" pipe on the t5. As long as the pipe is all to the rear of the stove it really isn't noticable. I used the semi rigid aluminum flex duct and didn't even paint it.
Thanks. It looks like the air intake for the OAK on these PE's is 10" in from the back, so it may be more visible than if it came out the back or something, especially from an easy chair. I had a raised hearth in mind, but I've decided against that anyway, so maybe it wouldn't be too bad. At least a pedestal hides the duct, even if it has to be offset some.

I was speaking about the Alderlea. Are you getting the Super 27?

I was speaking about the Alderlea. Are you getting the Super 27?
Sorry. We're considering both, but my concern about the duct showing was for the Alderlea because it is only on legs and I've been playing with the idea of a raised hearth. The duct comes out 10" from the back, so would probably show from the chairs even if not raised, although maybe not too bad if done right. The pedestal Super 27 would hide the OAK. That was my point.

It might be a moot issue anyway because, ironically, I like the Alderlea, but she actually seems to prefer the simplicity of the 27, and it's style would fit nicely here. She's a very practical gal. One of the most common pieces of advice I see here is to "get what she wants". Now, I always get the last word but they are usually "yes, dear", so it's pointing to the 27 right now;) . That's alright, I like 'em both fine and they both make fire. Besides, I just did the 8-ball thing and it said "Absolutely" for the 27 and "try again later" for the Alderlea. I know when I'm licked...

If you are raising the hearth, why not hide the OAK in the raised hearth?

You could come straight up through the floor into the stove and have the pipe in the structure of the raised hearth.

ac

If you are raising the hearth, why not hide the OAK in the raised hearth?

You could come straight up through the floor into the stove and have the pipe in the structure of the raised hearth.

ac

It doesn't matter, the exposure of concern is between the floor and the stove's firebox. That exposure is the same whether the stove is on a concrete slab or a raised hearth 10 feet in the air.

It doesn't matter, the exposure of concern is between the floor and the stove's firebox. That exposure is the same whether the stove is on a concrete slab or a raised hearth 10 feet in the air.

I thought he was more worried about the pipe along the floor.

In that case, paint it black. YOU will be the only one to notice it (maybe others on Hearth, but your guests won't notice). It will look ok.

ac

My OAK vent pipe simply comes out the bottom of my stove (stove is on legs) and runs long the floor a couple of feet. At first I thought it was very ugly and unsightly. Now I still think it is ugly but I rarely even notice it.

Status
Not open for further replies.