How to hook up chimney liner?

smokey_pelletstove Posted By smokey_pelletstove, Dec 14, 2012 at 2:09 PM

1. smokey_pelletstove

smokey_pelletstove
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 15, 2012
    Do I need another part to secure the flexible pipe to the storm collar? There are some holes in the storm collar.

Also, what's the best way to bring the pipe up through the chimney? Thanks. Pipe.jpg roof1.jpg roof2.jpg roof3.jpg

2. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 24, 2011
    Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    Never having done this myself, but wouldn't it be easiest to put the pipe in the chimney for th top down??

3. kinsmanstoves

kinsmanstoves
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 29, 2007
    Loc:
    Ravenna, Ohio 44266
    That is one homemade mess. Usually the liner goes through the top plate and the cap holds the liner in place.

Eric

4. chimneylinerjames

chimneylinerjames
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 26, 2012
    Well said. Start over using the right parts. If the liner is in decent shape, use it. But get the proper top plate and rain cap and a tee or appliance connector. It will just make the entire job go easier and it will be done right.

5. MSmith66

MSmith66
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 5, 2008
    Loc:
    Central NY
    The liner kit should have come with some type of instructions. I have never seen any kit like that. Good luck!

6. smokey_pelletstove

smokey_pelletstove
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 15, 2012
    It's a bit of a mess, agreed - but it's what came with the house and nobody has any parts around here...so managed to drop the liner down the chimney and secure it to the top hubcap - may need your advice again!

Really appreciate this forum - learned a lot.

Eatonpcat likes this.