How to keep my stove from rusting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BLAZE82

Hearth Supporter
Feb 16, 2009
north east G.A.
During the summer months what does everybody do to prevent surface rust from starting on and in your stove.

Keep it dry. Also stuffing some insulation in the flue opening will help keep out some unwanted air and possibly some unwanted guests. Just remember to pull the insulation before starting your new fire next fall.

There is a product called "Stove Wax" Not sure of brand. It's blackish like car-wax. It does smoke a bit on the first fire in the fall. It looks nicer and is easier to dust in the Summer.

Nothing.

Oh last year was easy . . . I kept burning in the stove . . . even had a fire going in early July . . . however it was a very strange, very wet and very cold summer.

Never had any visible surface rust, inside or out, in 23 years with the old VC, and never did anything to prevent it. Did some touchup painting on the stove after 10 years, but not because of rust. Never even touched up the single-wall stovepipe. I'm hoping the same is true with the new Oslo.

The house has A/C, so maybe it's because the humidity does not get super-high?

I wouldn't expect to see any on my blue/black Oslo.

Shari

Keep the stove out of the rain. That usually works. If the problem is a damp basement, install a dehumidifier. Or if all else fails, give it a very light wiping down with an oily rag.

I live in the desert. Rick

Shari said:

Shari

Sure Shari . . . rub it in to the guy with the plain Jane matte black Oslo. ;) :) Just go on and rub it in. ;)

Attachments

• Ironstone.jpg
    Ironstone.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 385
firefighterjake said:
Shari said:

Shari

Sure Shari . . . rub it in to the guy with the plain Jane matte black Oslo. ;) :) Just go on and rub it in. ;)

How did you know I was thinking of you when I posted? :)

Shari

firefighterjake said:
Shari said:

Shari

+1

Shari said:
firefighterjake said:
Shari said:

Shari

How did you know I was thinking of you when I posted? :)

Shari

:) :) :)

I'm happy the stove has worked out for you so well this year . . . you'll like it even more next year with more experince and more use.

Before we got air conditioning we'd burn a 12hr vigil candle in the stove. Sounds like a hassle but we only get about 20 real humid days here.

We always thought AC was a luxury we could live without. Then one day while shopping at WM we came across a pallet of AC's going for 110 a piece. We bought 6 or 7 of them and just AC the rooms were in...if they break I curb 'em and buy another. If we had Cent air it would cost 100 just to get a HVAC guy to show up.

I know it sounds stupid but the last time we looked at an window AC unit they were going for $550-600 a unit and at that price a cold shower was good enough.

We've always saved the money saved burning wood in a dedicated fund. A fund for everything heat related like chain saws, splitters, windows etc. Since cold is the opposite of hot that also qualifies under the temperature quotient comfort level of discretionary spending of this fund.

So when a situation developed and all of a sudden we decide on something we go all out. I have to tell ya ...life is good with AC the few days you need it and we could care less about the extra electricity used.

Someone told me to try rubbing it down with bacon grease. Never tried it though.

Yeah, but then it rusts from the dog licking it to death.:p

woodsmaster said:
Someone told me to try rubbing it down with bacon grease. Never tried it though.

I already put on too much weight in the winter without that odor in the house every time I light the stove...

BeGreen said:
Yeah, but then it rusts from the dog licking it to death.:p

The dog? Heck . . . that would be me licking the stove. ;) :)

When I lived in a more humid area I used to spray the stove with a very light coat of PAM (cooking oil). Did the trick.

And the odor from the first fire the next heating season was the smell of pancakes on the griddle....

Status
Not open for further replies.