How to leave a burning catalytic stove for an extended time.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Dec 19, 2017
peppertown
I have a buck 81 catalytic stove. When I leave my cabin for the city, how should I leave a burning stove set? Should I let it burn out with damper open, or burn out with the exhaust closed with air vent open (this would be normal catalytic operation mode) or shut all vents and dampers...thus leaving unused wood in the stove. Thoughts?

Leaving for a while, shut 'er down, tight. Welcome to the forum. :cool:

As long as the stove is installed safely with a proper flue, I'd just leave the stove set the way it normally would be set to keep the place comfortable. I might turn down the air a little bit, but usually we do nothing special at all when heading into the city for the day.

Reactions: lsucet
I have a buck 81 catalytic stove. When I leave my cabin for the city, how should I leave a burning stove set? Should I let it burn out with damper open, or burn out with the exhaust closed with air vent open (this would be normal catalytic operation mode) or shut all vents and dampers...thus leaving unused wood in the stove. Thoughts?
I agree with bg let it go like you would any other time you leave. Btw shutting it all the way wont put the fire out anyway.

Just like any overnight burn. Trust your equipment to perform the same whether you’re asleep or gone.