How to light a fire?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nola mike

Minister of Fire
Sep 13, 2010
Richmond/Montross, Virginia
OK, obviously this question has been asked many times, but I can't seem to find it. Specifically, I'd like know:
1) Do you add splits right when you start the fire, or light kindling, get a good bed, then add?
2) When do I shut the damper down? What am I looking for to know that it's burning properly? Presumable a closed damper=cooler fire, so do I want my room up to be up to temp before shutting it?
3) Any tips to reloading? I seem to remember putting new wood towards the back, since the air flows in that direction.
4) I keep reading about how I want a smaller, hotter fire. At what point can I just fill the firebox?

Please refer to a sticky "Wood Burning Video" on the top of The Heart Room. All the answers are there.

Also the video in this link is probably viewed by most of our members here.

http://www.woodheat.org/videos.htm

And...welcome to the forum.

Cheers....Som

Some parts of your question have generic answers, others will be more specific to what exact stove you have so if you can tell us what type (make/model) stove you have it would be helpful (best is to add it to your signature).

1) There are two main styles (and lots of hybrid) of fires - "top down" and "bottom up" that folks use. The "bottom up" style you may use some medium size pieces to get it going but mostly use smaller splits and kindling to get a good fire going first, then add more splits on top of that - it requires a bit of tending generally depending on how much space you have in your stove and how dry your wood is (and if you are using kindling or a good firestarter). A top-down fire you lay larger splits on the bottom of the stove, then build up from there with medium then smaller pieces up to the kindling on top of that up to the tinder (which may be paper or whatever fire starter you desire) then you light from the top. With the top-down fire generally it is a 'light and watch' approach until those larger splits are fully coaled. I.e. your first load of wood is already in the stove.

2) When to shut damper down is very stove model dependent for specifics. However the common theme is to begin once a solid draft is established and the firebox is getting well warmed up. Then once things are good and hot and secondary combustion is possible you can really start shutting down for the 'long burn'. Again - generalization here is that you do it in increments and exactly how far when and what signals you use (temperature and fire view) depends on your stove.

3) Reloading - general advice again, different stoves have their own quirks, but load in a cycle or batch mode. Let fire burn down to low coals. Move coals to pile near air inflow and pile wood on top, allow wood to get burning then dial air control back to establish clean burn through secondaries (or engage cat if a cat stove).

4) Fill firebox with enough wood to get you the amount of heat you desire and maintain a clean burn. Depends on how hot you want your home. If you are finding that you get more heat than you need then use less wood. Avoid the temptation to dial the air back earlier and smoulder the fire as this will just get you a dirty chimney and annoyed neighbors due to smoke (and wastes wood). Exactly when you will load it full every time depends on the weather and your preferences... if you have a cat stove you can do it sooner and then dial it down for a much longer burn but that is a different story....

nola mike said:
OK, obviously this question has been asked many times, but I can't seem to find it. Specifically, I'd like know:

1) Do you add splits right when you start the fire, or light kindling, get a good bed, then add? Depends . . . if you do a top-down style fire where the bigger splits are on the bottom you should end up with a nice bed of coals without having to add more splits to the fire . . . one reason I like this style of fire setting. If you do a traditional type of fire (teepee or log cabin) you might have to add a split or two and babysit the fire a little more closely.

2) When do I shut the damper down? What am I looking for to know that it's burning properly? Presumable a closed damper=cooler fire, so do I want my room up to be up to temp before shutting it? Again . . . it depends. This is where I tend to use my flue thermometer . . . but some folks use their stove thermometer. When the thermometer reaches X degrees (based on your own stove and set up -- for me this is around 450-500 degrees on my Condar probe thermometer) I start shutting down the air . . . and if the secondaries fire off right away and the fire continues to burn nicely I'll shut it a bit more . . . until either the control is all the way shut or close to being shut . . . other folks shut down the air when their stove reaches X degrees . . . or they'll wait X amount of minutes . . . knowing when to start closing the air is something many of us learn after using our stoves for awhile.

You'll know things are working out when you have good secondary action, clean glass and the heat really starts pumping out of the stove (plus my wife says the pinging sounds she hears is the sound of "heat") . . . if your fire starts to smolder, the glass starts to blacken, etc. then you have shut the air too much or too early . . . open up the air and try again in a few minutes. Incidentally, you are wrong -- a closed damper results in a hotter fire as it tends to create the secondary burn -- when the stove burns off the combustible material in the smoke -- this is where the real heat starts to pour out of the stove.

3) Any tips to reloading? I seem to remember putting new wood towards the back, since the air flows in that direction. Best tip I can think of is to not reload too early or too late . . . if you reload too early you can end up with the stove going thermo-nuclear on you at worse and way too much heat pouring out of the stove and at best you have excessive amounts of coals building up so it makes it hard to fill the firebox . . . reload too late and it will take too long to get the fire back up and cruising along . . . for me personally . . . I like to reload when the coals are the size of oranges or grapefruits . . . it's what works for me. Also if doing an overnight burn I tend to place a couple smaller splits on the bottom to allow the fire to catch . . . and the rest are larger rounds or splits to give me a longer burn.

4) I keep reading about how I want a smaller, hotter fire. At what point can I just fill the firebox? When you really, truly need the heat . . . then you fill the firebox . . . and what I mean by this is if you're looking at cold temps and these temps are going to hang around for awhile . . . in other words, do a small, hot fire if you just need to take the chill out of the air on a Fall evening or damp, chilly Saturday . . . but when the temps dip down into the 30s and are forecast to stay there all day then you may want to try loading the firebox . . . and even then you may not want to reload the firebox too soon . . . perhaps the easiest answer to this question is in middle of the winter when it's wicked cold outside . . . then you'll want to load the firebox.

Status
Not open for further replies.