Q&A How to make a coal bin

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I am looking to purchase a set of blueprints to build a coal bin to hold 3 to 4 tons of coal.

Answer:

I don't know of any plans, but I've built quite a few myself. Figure on 40 cubic feet per ton, so you could store almost 4 tons of coal where 1 cord of wood will fit. I used plywood and studs when I built one in the basement. I used a nailgun to shoot the bottom plate into the slab..but I'm sure that you could also drill and lag the plate in. I ran the studs all the way to the ceiling..one every two feet will do. Then I ran the plywood up 1/2 way. If you want to get fancy, slope the foolr and have a hatch near the bottom where the coal bucket can be placed right up to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.