How to Make a New Yorker WC-120 More efficient? & storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scottinkn

Hearth Supporter
Oct 12, 2008
Monson, MA
www.servu724.com
Hello Everyone!

I just bought a used New Yorker WC-120 boiler ( I think I got a good deal on it ) and I am restoring & going through it; grinding it down, cleaning the tubes & painting the outside before I install it. ( I hope that I bought a good model )

I plan to install it along side my 117,00 btu Utica boiler which has two circulator zones(pumps) on the return side.

I also plan to have water storage and adding solar water as well this winter.

I am thinking about a building a storage tank, any ideas?

I want to keep the piping and system as simple, inexpensive and fail proof as possible.

Now, since I have it apart and stripped, are there any modifications that anyone knows that I may be able to do to make this old girl more efficient?
Speaking of old anyone know how old this model may be?

Thank you in advance,

Scott

My dad had one from way back. He wasn't known for using the driest wood so he ended up with creosote and plugged passages from time to time. He modified the fire tubes in the top section by opening them up a little more. He didn't have any problems since then. I would suggest you burn dry wood, keep a load by adding storage so it will burn hot, and put boiler return protection in to keep the temps up and creosote down.

It is a nice boiler though. Add that you can burn coal also and it has its advantages.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.