How to make a quick and easy Vacuum adapter (Picture heavy warning)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nailed_nailer

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 29, 2007
Cape Cod, Ma
I have made about 1/2 a dozen Vacuum adapters for folks here in The Hearth.

npompei asked if I could put together a short "How-to" on how I do it on my wood lathe.

Start with a relatively dry blank of wood. Here is a chunk of Cherry (with bark on it) that I had laying around. Pic 1

It has started to check a bit on each end from drying so I sectioned out suitable blank from the middle. Pic 2

Next I will mount it in my lathe between centers. On the left is a Sorby Steb center to drive the wood and on the right is a 60 deg point live center. My lathe is a Nova 3000 made by Teknatoon in NZ. It will turn 16" dia and about 22" length. Pic 3

The blank is mounted between the centers and the lathe is turned on. Pic 4

Here I am starting to shape it round. I left the bark on for the picture. Pic 5

Continued.....

Attachments

• Vac Adapter 001.jpg
    Vac Adapter 001.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 639
  • Vac Adapter 002.jpg
    Vac Adapter 002.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 622
  • Vac Adapter 003.jpg
    Vac Adapter 003.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 616
  • Vac Adapter 004.jpg
    Vac Adapter 004.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 634
  • Vac Adapter 005.jpg
    Vac Adapter 005.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 605
....Continued

I have made the blank round with a roughing gouge and have marked with a parting tool the two critical dimensions. 1-3/4 on the left and 2-1/8 on right. I will taper this between the two to allow a snug self sealing fit into the vac hose. Pic 7

Here I am starting to make the taper. This particular adapter is for corkman and he has a 2" vac hose. Pic 8

This is the final shape. The nose end transitions down for the hose. Pic 9

Here I have removed it from between centers and mounted it into a scroll chuck. The live center has been replaced with a drill chuck and a 1/2" drill bit. Pic 10

I have started to drill out the 1/2" hole. My RPM has been turned down to 500. Pic 12

Here is an end shot of the turning with the 1/2" hole. Pic 13

And finally here it is complete with the hose installed. This is a polyethylene tubing that has a 1/2 OD. It should work well. The curve can be straightened out with a hairdryer. Pic 14

Hope this helps anyone who wants to make one. They take about 10 minutes each and are a fun quick project.

Thanks,
---Nailer---

Attachments

• Vac Adapter 007.jpg
    Vac Adapter 007.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 616
  • Vac Adapter 008.jpg
    Vac Adapter 008.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 597
  • Vac Adapter 009.jpg
    Vac Adapter 009.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 583
  • Vac Adapter 010.jpg
    Vac Adapter 010.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 592
  • Vac Adapter 012.jpg
    Vac Adapter 012.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 589
  • Vac Adapter 013.jpg
    Vac Adapter 013.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 617
  • Vac Adapter 014.jpg
    Vac Adapter 014.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 614
Great pic series on the turning, Nailer. And thanks again for my adapter....will be using it soon. ;-)

Pete and Jay,

Thanks,

Anytime you guys want to give it a try come on up to the Cape. Door is always open. Just call first.

Jay you want one? Have it to you by weeks end.

---Nailer---

nailed_nailer said:
Pete and Jay,

Thanks,

Anytime you guys want to give it a try come on up to the Cape. Door is always open. Just call first.

Jay you want one? Have it to you by weeks end.

---Nailer---

Jay, do I hear "ROAD TRIP!" ? :lol:

nailer nice i can put that on my Vega duplicator and make a bunch for you. you make your own lures for the canal like me?

Fish On,
I don't do much Salt Water fishing. I live on one of the Cape lakes and bass fish mostly.

I am more of a Bowl/Platter turner. Although I am teaching myself spindle turning as I go along.

I am President of the Cape Cod Wood Turning club If you are in the area....Give me a shout.

---Nailer---

I've been building furniture and gifts for the last few years now.... I have a full woodshop, including a lathe. My weakest area is the lathe. My father-in-law left his entire shop to the wife and I when he passed. I'm kinda afraid of the lathe.

perchin said:
I've been building furniture and gifts for the last few years now.... I have a full woodshop, including a lathe. My weakest area is the lathe. My father-in-law left his entire shop to the wife and I when he passed. I'm kinda afraid of the lathe.

As long as your not like this kid you should be all set. I know it's a metal lathe in the vid but still, kid is a dumbass!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajNdLT4exps

Edit: forgot the link!

Status
Not open for further replies.