1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

How to make splitting wood more dangerous

Post in 'The Gear' started by Mmaul, Jan 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mmaul

Mmaul Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Muncie, IN

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    I find that really disturbing. Not the safety part--yahoos will be yahoos.

But those logs are laid out and prepared like valuable sawlogs or veneer logs. You don't go to the trouble of cutting the butt swell down unless you have a valuable log, which those all look to be.

Are these people vandalizing somebody's log pile? And if not, why would they ruin a valuable log?

I didn't have the audio on, so maybe there was some narrative that I missed. Seems like a big waste for a cheap thrill, in any event.

EDIT: Looking at it again, it appears that these people own the logs and that one had a big crack, so they decided, for whatever reason, to blow it up. You can saw around a crack, but I guess that doesn't make stimulating YouTube, so that's that.
  3. Andre B.

Andre B. New Member

4. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    Yeah, I saw that one, too. It would be a good idea to keep up with the unexploded ordnance if you did a lot of wood that way.

What's up with the video on "wood splitting" and all you see is the guy taking one mighty whack with the maul? Looked like he has pretty good form, but it's hard to see in that two-second clip.
  5. Andre B.

Andre B. New Member

His video editing skills are not equal to his wood editing.
  6. Gene K.

Gene K. New Member

Loc:
    SW Michigan
  7. woodconvert

woodconvert Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Fenton Michigan
    I thought the logs looked dry and flaky almost to the point of rot in the first video. Actually, if you need to go off on a yahoo bender and go splodey some logs that's the way to do it. The second vid IS disturbing from a safety standpoint...right from loading to lighting.
  8. hoot gibson

hoot gibson New Member

Loc:
    ohio
    we have two mills on the farm . if the logs are to big to fit in the mills , then thats how we make them smaller// hoot
  9. woodconvert

Loc:
    Fenton Michigan
    Really??. Well, I can see the first method being somewhat practical if you have a good place to hide. The second method just plain creeps me out. Gotta give you an A+ for ingenuity.
  10. tkirk22

tkirk22 New Member

Loc:
    VA Mountains
    Kids, Please do NOT try this at home.

As a semi-reformed pyro I must ask these question:

Does it also work on live trees that need to be dropped?? <grin>
    In the second video, is that an old commercial product? 'Stump Blaster'?
    I've heard of farmers blowing out stumps. What do they do?
  11. woodconvert

Loc:
    Fenton Michigan
    As for what the farmers do....well, they used to be able to get dynamite sticks with no problem. Then that went away so then they used to use amonium nitrate (a fertilizer) and fuel oil with a blasting cap to ignite it. That worked well then that went away as well. Now, the equipment on large farms is generally large enough to pop them out with little problem. A friend of mine uses either an excavator or a bulldozer.
  12. enviro max sucker

enviro max sucker New Member

Loc:
    North Bay, ON. Canada
    If you have the time to waste, (like a couple of years), potassium nitrate (Salt Peter) will work if you drill holes in the stump and the pour this stuff into the holes. The stump will rot away from the inside out.
  13. slowzuki

slowzuki Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Yup blasting to split big trees for portable mills is fairly common, the swing bladers laugh away though as they can handle all of those big trees.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.