How to measure temps with an insulated chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mpaul

Burning Hunk
Hi everyone. I have a 42 Apex that has a 7” insulated chimney. Reading all the posts here I’m learning the best method to measure and monitor performance of your fireplace is through chimney temperatures. However, all the posts I read talk about single or double walled chimney, not insulated chimney’s.
My thought is to get a probe based thermometer to insert into the chimney. My concern is drilling a hole for the probe through the insulation. Are there any concerns with doing this?
My unit came with a pretty sleek in wall digital thermocouple that measures the temp of my cat. It’s impressive to watch and see the temps get into 800-900 degrees. Reading about cats though I see the temps can go so much higher without damage. Still if I see that cat get into 1000 degrees I panic and dial the unit way down.
I have an access panel to one side of the unit. This would allow me to insert the probe into the chimney. I really am looking for a system that will give me an audible alarm if my chimney temps go too high especially during overnight burns. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Yep. It is a 7” insulated chimney that hooks directly to the stove. It’s a zero clearance fireplace inside a chase so the chimney is insulated.

The instructions probably were meant for a non-cat stove. For a cat stove go by the cat temperature. You shouldn't drill into insulated chimney pipe.

Reactions: moresnow
Got it. Thanks begreen. I usually run the cat temp between 800-900 degrees. I’ve read that damage occurs at 1500. Am ok running at 1000-1100?

Yes, it's ok to run between 800-1400º.