How to mix in pallets with unseasoned wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mwatt65

May 8, 2013
West Orange NJ
Hello guy's, I have learned a lot from this forum! I have noticed that my 3 cords of white oak is not seasoned enough! So I can get as many pallets as I should need, what way should I mix them in?
I also picked up some Envi blocks but them seemed expensive at $3.45 for 3 or a pallet load for $300
Which way to work this out? How would you mix & match? buy Envi blocks and save the oak for next year?

Thank you

Michael

I would really look into getting some dry wood and use this as a last option. When it comes right down to it, I'd just burn pallet wood if I didn't have a cat stove and needed heat. You will literally be wasting GREAT firewood just trying to keep warm while dirtying your chimney and getting about 50% of the heat you should. Leave that wood pile until next year or the year after and hunt down something dry would be my first move if it were me.

While it's nice to put wood aside for next winter, sometimes you have to burn what you have. I needed pallet wood to get me through my first winter and then I scrounged hard the next summer to try to get ahead. Maybe you can save some of that wood for next year or the year after that.

There is no right answer to how to load the stove. It's going to be different with every load since the temperature outside is going to change and that makes the stove draft harder or softer. It's best to play around with different loads to see what works best in your stove. I'd start with pallet wood on the bottom and the white oak on the top though. The flames from the burning pallet wood will help dry the white oak and the moisture in the white oak will cool the fire a bit.

Matt

Reactions: RockyMtnHigh
I have to agree, you may be wasting the wood by burning the oak this year. And it might not be ready next year either.
Stick with the pallets and enviro bricks, mix them together and get decent heat with no threats to the chimney.

Reactions: RockyMtnHigh
Status
Not open for further replies.