How to occasionaly use my wood stove like a fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pyronut

Apr 5, 2011
El paso, TX
I have seen where many wood stoves can be used like a fireplace and you can buy a fire screen. My question is how exactly do you use the stove in a fireplace mode? Of course the door would be opened and the screen would be attached. But do you have the damper / air control closed or open? How many splits are ideal for this mode? What temps are you looking for in the firebox and on top of the stove? Can any stove be used like this or do you need a specific stove? Thanks in advance for any help!!!

If the appliance is designed to be burned with the door open and a screen in place, that will be described in the manufacturer's documentation and an OEM screen would have either come with it or be available as an optional purchase. Burning a modern appliance with the door open is going to result in a complete loss of all the built-in efficiences and heating capabilities and send a good deal of the heat right up the flue to the atmosphere. I can't imagine it really matters how the primary air control is positioned when burning with the door wide open...there won't be any appreciable airflow through either primaries or secondaries. Just a waste of wood, IMO...but to each his/her own. Rick

Gotta agree with Rick here . . . I know I thought the idea of running my woodstove like a fireplace with a screen in place sounded pretty neat and I was ready to spring for the screen . . . until I realized that it would be a collosal waste of wood and heat . . . and honestly I can see and hear all that I want with the woodstove running like a woodstove with the door shut and the glass clean.

I use my Oslo like a fireplace in an occasional cool summers night burn. However, in this time of the year it's all business, and especially this year, I'm looking to modify the way I burn to save wood consumption.

My last stove was a Lopi Endeavor and it could be burned as an open fireplace(they offered a screen). My wife thought this to be a great feature, well once my wife seen how it worked and heated she fell in love with the stove with the door closed. Needless to say it was never burned with the door open.

I would think in order to be burned with the door open a bypass similar to the Lopi stoves would be a must. Does your Quad or Napoleon have a bypass of sorts?

Status
Not open for further replies.