How to prepare stove for warm months?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yarzy

Hearth Supporter
Dec 27, 2010
Chalfont, PA
Hi Everyone,

I know we are not there yet, but in the next month or so, it is time to pack up the stove for the summer. This was my first winter with the stove so I would like to know what I should do when it is time to shut 'er down. I will be getting the chimney swept, etc, but as far as the dust, glass, etc, is there something I should do to clean it? Just soap and water maybe? What do you guys do when it is time break out the BBQ vs the wood stove? BTW-I own a Jotul Oslo, so this would be the stove in question.

I just give everything a good wipe down/brushing. Soap and water sounds like a good way to start rust although I'm sure some do it. You might want to look over your firebrick and gaskets also.

Matt

If the stove is enameled, a damp rag wipe will suffice. If it's painted, then I would just give it a good exterior vacuuming with the brush tool.

First thing we do is stop putting wood in the stove. Then we clean the glass using a damp newspaper dipped in the ashes and to finalize that we use windex and paper towel. We have a cat stove to I lift that out to give it a little brushing. Then we remove the ashes and using a shop vac, finish cleaning of all ash. Then we check gaskets and replace any if needed. Finally we check the chimney. It rarely needs cleaning but if so, it is about a 10 minute job. Then we put away our winter clothing.

After sweeping my chimney and cleaning my stove pipe I remove the oval plate on the top and carefully vacuum off the fly ash that has accumulated on top of the baffle board and blanket. After removing as much ash from the firebox and ash pan box as possible I take the shop vac (with dry wall filter in place) and clean all the inside cracks and crevices. Glass is cleaned. All gaskets are checked. I then vacuum off the exterior of the stove with a soft bristled brush attached to the vac . . . and complete the whole shut down by putting a box of baking soda and an unlit candle inside the firebox.

I get the Oslo all cleaned up, glass, pledge the green enamel finish, vacuum every bit of ash and put in the summer candle's. I never get around to cleaning the chimney, so I can't comment if it cleans up better in the summer or the fall that I do. I think the issue with cleaning in the summer is we burn until June and the day time temps get the roof to soft to put ladders on it.

I wonder if anyone else has this problem? When we get big blowing summer downpours we get a bit of rain, more dampness than puddles in the fire box. It drys up but I wish I have a easy way could prevent it.

Tom

xman23 said:
I get the Oslo all cleaned up, glass, pledge the green enamel finish, vacuum every bit of ash and put in the summer candle's. I never get around to cleaning the chimney, so I can't comment if it cleans up better in the summer or the fall that I do. I think the issue with cleaning in the summer is we burn until June and the day time temps get the roof to soft to put ladders on it.

I wonder if anyone else has this problem? When we get big blowing summer downpours we get a bit of rain, more dampness than puddles in the fire box. It drys up but I wish I have a easy way could prevent it.

Tom

After I clean the stove and chimney I remove the chimney cap and cover the pipe opening with clear plastic. i then replace the chimney cap with the plastic in place.
keeps all moisture out of the liner as well as preventing any critters (birds, etc.) from accidently falling into the pipe. Never get that burnt ash smel on damp rainy days since I started doing this.

firefighterjake said:
After sweeping my chimney and cleaning my stove pipe I remove the oval plate on the top and carefully vacuum off the fly ash that has accumulated on top of the baffle board and blanket. After removing as much ash from the firebox and ash pan box as possible I take the shop vac (with dry wall filter in place) and clean all the inside cracks and crevices. Glass is cleaned. All gaskets are checked. I then vacuum off the exterior of the stove with a soft bristled brush attached to the vac . . . and complete the whole shut down by putting a box of baking soda and an unlit candle inside the firebox.
OK, Jake, I get the baking soda, but what's the unlit candle for? Never heard of that.

I also have an Oslo. Mine is flat black painted, so I avoid the soap and water for fear of rust, as mentioned previously. I brush and shovel out the inside, clean the glass, and vacuum the exterior with the brush attachment. Another thing that's important on stoves like the Oslo with an ashpan is to clean out all the built up ash, if any, in the back of the enclosure that holds the ashpan. If too much builds up in there over time, the ash pan won't go all the way back, and the door won't want to close. I'm very careful about spilling ash into that area, so just cleaning it out once in the off season works for me.

The Oslo can have a problem with the air control lever getting sticky over time. The off season is a good time to lubricate the slide that's under the little cover with some graphite powder lubricant.

To keep chimney smell out of the house, I also plug the stovepipe in the off season.

Then something I do just for looks is to lay a fire in the stove, minus kindling, and don't light it. Looks attractive in the off season. This year I have a supply of cedar splits, so I'll use those and it will even impart a nice aroma.

Counseling for the with-drawl you suffer is the first step. Second I always keep large amounts of chocolate nearby just in case of a anxiety issue come late April. I'm told if you can make it through the first week with out burning your good to go.

For the stove: she has a stronger will than you do, and will rarely self ignite. Keep her clean and she will make it through this dark period of her life, all the while knowing it will not be the last dry spell she encounters. LOL.......

Had to sorry,
Charlie

no withdrawl for me...glad when i start,glad when i,m done,only bout 4 months in between anyway

I guess the candle thing is eye candy and possibly aroma if you used a scented candle. I just scoop the ash out, have a look down the chimney which is usually not very dirty, clean the glass with glass cleaner and paper towel, lube the hinge and latch, call it spring and go cut more wood.

tfdchief said:
firefighterjake said:
OK, Jake, I get the baking soda, but what's the unlit candle for? Never heard of that.

+1 Candle?? Whyfore??

Tfdchief and PopCrackleSnap . . . 1) Once in blue moon over the summer I'll get a downdraft situation where I can smell a bit of creosote -- maybe two or three times during the summer -- I light the candle and it creates enough a draft to elminate the problem by establishing a slight draft. 2) It may not be an actual fire with secondaries . . . but it is nice to have a little fire in the firebox for the ambiance. ;) :) Ok, mostly it's for reason #1.

Okey-dokey, then!

firefighterjake said:
Tfdchief and PopCrackleSnap . . . 1) Once in blue moon over the summer I'll get a downdraft situation where I can smell a bit of creosote -- maybe two or three times during the summer -- I light the candle and it creates enough a draft to elminate the problem by establishing a slight draft. 2) It may not be an actual fire with secondaries . . . but it is nice to have a little fire in the firebox for the ambiance. ;) :) OK, mostly it's for reason #1.
As I read your explanation, I am laughing out loud....because my wife loves candles and I hate them because.....well, you know why Jake. I will have to tell her about your trick, she will have one going in there all the time. ;-P Thanks

I just gutted the inside of mine today. Took out all the bricks, took out the 2ndaries, vacuumed everything out and brushed stuff off. Need to buy a chimney brush because this is my first year burning and dont have one yet. left everything out until i sweep so any crap in the chute dosent land on the 2ndary blanket and boards.

Id still be burning if I had decent wood but everything I have left is next years and its building up the creosote way to quick and is a PITA to get it going and keep it going so i called it quits.

tfdchief said:
firefighterjake said:
Tfdchief and PopCrackleSnap . . . 1) Once in blue moon over the summer I'll get a downdraft situation where I can smell a bit of creosote -- maybe two or three times during the summer -- I light the candle and it creates enough a draft to elminate the problem by establishing a slight draft. 2) It may not be an actual fire with secondaries . . . but it is nice to have a little fire in the firebox for the ambiance. ;) :) OK, mostly it's for reason #1.
As I read your explanation, I am laughing out loud....because my wife loves candles and I hate them because.....well, you know why Jake. I will have to tell her about your trick, she will have one going in there all the time. ;-P Thanks

You hate them because you're not really a romantic at heart? :) ;)

Nah . . . me . . . I don't hate 'em . . . I know there has been a huge increase in the number of fires caused by candle fires . . . coincidentally enough perhaps along with the huge increase in candles sold in the past ten years . . . the key is to get folks to use them properly . . . namely being . . . never leave the room without extinguishing a lit candle . . . an even safer alternative for folks who like the scent but don't care if the candle is lit or not are candle warmers with the automatic shut offs.

You hate them because you’re not really a romantic at heart?
Ya, that too :lol:
. . never leave the room without extinguishing a lit candle
"I will just be gone a minute honey" :kiss:

Status
Not open for further replies.