How to properly take a fireplace out of service

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rwhite

Minister of Fire
Nov 8, 2011
North Central Idaho
My house has 2 fireplaces. Solid masonry from basement all the way to top. 2 flues but a shared chimey. The lower fireplace is basically not functional. It was a poor design to start with, it's in a small room and with the shared chimney I was never able to solve the negative pressure smoke smell in the basement issue. Also based on the 2 additional flue holes in the side of it that it originally that fireplace, hot water heater and furnace all shared that same flue. The heater and furnace have since been moved. So when I installed my upper insert I just capped the adjoining flue. If I had my druthers I'd tear it out but I'm pretty sure that it plays some role in supporting the upper fireplace so it stays. The DW like it as well for decorating and such. Any how it's old and ugly so I am in the process of refacing it with cultured stone.
So to my point:
How do I properly "decommission" it? If at some point we decide to sell the house I also don't want some inspector thinking its usable and wanting it brought up to standard. I don't think the design will ever be safe to use. I have capped the top flue and sealed the damper as of now. Do I need to vent the unused chimney to avoid moisture issues? If it does need vented would a passive or solar powered vent be better.

It could be bricked up.

It could be bricked up.
We had actually thought of that. Now we just have an electric fireplace in it which is more than enough for the room it's in. I cant imagine someone actually lighting a fire in it. If the CO didn't get you the heat surely would.

Status
Not open for further replies.