How to replace HE ZCF with freestanding wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Voltaireman

Dec 19, 2015
Clovis, CA
Hi - We have a Dovre 2100 that has served us well for 20+ years. We're in the San Joaquin Valley of California, with some of the worst air in the US. Burn days are tightly controlled, unless you have a newer qualified model. I'd like to install a freestanding wood stove in the "alcove" but I'm rather confused about clearance issues. Is there a logical reason that I can't just pull the Dovre firebox and leave the surround? Also, the existing 2100 deg. flue seems to be in excellent shape. Reuse or replace? Thanks for any help!

The Dovre 2100 is a zeroclearance fireplace. A wood stove will have different notably clearance and ceiling height requirements. Some folks have taken out their ZC and created an alcove for a wood stove. Usually they have around 48" width to work with and an 84" ceiling. As for reusing the chimney - maybe, if the pipe is class A HT rated. Do you know the make and part number or type of the pipe?

That sounds like it may be DuraPlus triple wall which is class A HT pipe.

After a bit of research I've decided that an insert is my best bet. My problem is that the inside height of my Dovre is only about 15.5" and I haven't found anything shorter than 17.5". Does anyone know of a small insert that could work?

The opening on the 2100 drawing is listed as 330mm or 13". I don't think you will find an insert to fit this unit. It's pretty efficient as far as fireplaces go. The best deal may be to keep using it as such.

After a bit of research I've decided that an insert is my best bet. My problem is that the inside height of my Dovre is only about 15.5" and I haven't found anything shorter than 17.5". Does anyone know of a small insert that could work?
What does your manual for the fireplace say about inserts? Most do not allow for the install of an insert inside of a zeroclearance fireplace

bholler: Unfortunately, it says nothing about it. It's 28 years old, and my understanding is that Dovre today is not the same company that built ours. They were in Aurora, Ill. Please keep in mind that this is a cast iron ZCF and was considered efficient for its day.

begreen: I measured it and it's a minimum of 15.5". You may be looking at specs on a newer model. The problem is that since it's not EPA certified we can only burn on certain days, and we love wood heat.

So, I guess we might be looking at a new ZCF?

bholler: Unfortunately, it says nothing about it. It's 28 years old, and my understanding is that Dovre today is not the same company that built ours. They were in Aurora, Ill. Please keep in mind that this is a cast iron ZCF and was considered efficient for its day.
IN that case i would say it would void any ul listing of the unit and be against code

begreen: I measured it and it's a minimum of 15.5". You may be looking at specs on a newer model. The problem is that since it's not EPA certified we can only burn on certain days, and we love wood heat.

So, I guess we might be looking at a new ZCF?
Another option would be to put in a stainless liner and connect it to a freestanding rear-vent stove on the hearth.

You aren't going to find an insert to fit in that fireplace even if it were approved. Even if one would physically fit, you still need room to hook up the liner, elbow, etc..
A hearth stove in front of the fireplace is an option, but unless the fireplace is up off of the floor a bit then it will still be difficult to find a decent stove with such a low flue collar.

Status
Not open for further replies.