How to roll super large logs to buck? By hand.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bigealta

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
May 22, 2010
Utah & NJ
How would you guys roll super heavy large oak to buck? No access to machinery. The large log has a 5-6 ft flare. The other is 2 1/2- 3 ft but flattish where it’s contacting the ground. Both have been there for years. You can sort of see them just to the left of the blue crv. Both logs laugh at my peavy.

C5C53F57-AB89-4C70-A71C-2E36C9DE3505.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: mcdougy
Cut almost throw
use a log dog and chain pull it over with a car/truck/4wheeler/Side by side or tractor your choose

Reactions: bigealta
I would cut it block length first. Then I would take the saw and cut downwards and sideways through the block to try to get it manageable pieces then use your peavy to roll them over

I would cut it block length first. Then I would take the saw and cut downwards and sideways through the block to try to get it manageable pieces then use your peavy to roll them over
Yes thought that might work.

As long as your bar is long enough to go through the block you cut. If you aren't able to get any kind equipment, gotta make use of the saw. I have done that before. It's a pain but it works. And it's makes a mess with the noodles. It will let you know how sharp your chain is.
Yes thought that might work.

Would a Rail Road spike driven in on the backside of the log and a towing strap hooked over it be a good idea to roll it? I don't have a log dog chain.

Reactions: duramaxman05
As long as your bar is long enough to go through the block you cut. If you aren't able to get any kind equipment, gotta make use of the saw. I have done that before. It's a pain but it works. And it's makes a mess with the noodles. It will let you know how sharp your chain is.
18" bar so can't get thru the fat sections even with cut on both sides, but should be ok on the smaller one going thru both sides.

Reactions: duramaxman05
Would a Rail Road spike driven in on the backside of the log and a towing strap hooked over it be a good idea to roll it? I don't have a log dog chain.
What ever it takes

18" bar so can't get thru the fat sections even with cut on both sides, but should be ok on the smaller one going thru both sides.
I ran into that years ago before I bought my own saw. My dad's 029 super and 041 both have 18" bars on them. We cut up a ash tree and cut all the way around and still had 6-8" in the middle we couldn't cut. Fortunately for us we have a john deere 4010 with a loader on the farm so we were able to break the rest of them off with the tractor. After that, when I bought my first saw, a stihl ms441 with a 25" bar. That eliminated that problem

Looks like a great stash of oak.
Hopefully it splits well for you!!!
I've only split oak a few times and it's either one or the other IME, easy or beat it apart....

Looks like a great stash of oak.
Hopefully it splits well for you!!!
I've only split oak a few times and it's either one or the other IME, easy or beat it apart....
Those are the last two good pieces left. The pics are 2 years old but they are still right there. I've grabbed the last of the good stuff. All the rest is pretty much spalted maple now.

Reactions: mcdougy
I’d see if could get two or three wraps of rope around then pull it over with the the vehicle. The spike is just going to be a projectile and gives no more leverage than the wraps.

I’d see if could get two or three wraps of rope around then pull it over with the the vehicle. The spike is just going to be a projectile and gives no more leverage than the wraps.
I can get under the huge one, but the "smaller" one is somewhat buried. i guess i could dig a hole under it. Yeah that's my concern. projectile or rope/strap snapping or letting go and ripping back like a whip.

Back in the day when we first started I'd use a spud bar to roll the logs.

Went back today. The smaller oak log was frozen to the ground so I went for the “Small” end of the big one. Luckily it was off the ground being lifted by some crotches. Good news is I got the nail damaged chain back to like new and it cut well. This wood had lots of cross grain. Hand Bombed it with some help “splitting” with the 029. 18” bar.

9DD073DD-D404-46F9-A458-32E72C2A2A53.jpeg A112EFAF-91BC-4237-99E0-3C387030D01C.jpeg 367DF115-3204-473D-BAE8-1EEA414BCEB5.jpeg 8941BBEC-3642-4121-8CC8-0F620613E9A9.jpeg AF1D51CE-E041-4332-8629-AAE34B93CD78.jpeg B48FBF9A-DD15-4C75-B082-9B56D4C9E68B.jpeg

Reactions: Solarguy3500

I had a big maple log I needed to roll over after cutting most of the way through from the top. I don't have a tractor. I had a large screw eye in my garage with a shaft about 3/4" diameter so I took my cordless drill and drilled a hole then turned the screw eye in. Less chance of it pulling out with the threads holding it in the wood. I then hooked up a chain to my old IHC Scout plow truck and pulled it right over.

If you hook and wrap a chain right it will roll the log as you put tension on the chain
Once the log starts to roll don't stop.