how to tell a good quality gasket from a cheap one???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrism

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 8, 2009
Eastern PA
I replaced all my gaskets at the begining of the burn season. The gasket for the top load door is already dried out and when you press down on it you hear it cracking! Is there a way to tell the difference between a good quality gasket and a cheap one? If there is such a thing. Thanks

Where did you acquire the gasket material that you used? Did it have a brand name? How about the cement?

pen

Chrism,

The cracking you hear is typically the glue or epoxy you used to glue the gasket to the frame, mine does the same thing. If you bought the gasket that Lowes or Home Depot sells the glue that comes with the gasket will actually expand when heated into a white friable substance that is quite fragile, so dont be pulling or pushing on it or you will be back to square one and have to start over. I dont know the brand name, but I usually get at most 2 years or so from a gasket using that glue then the repairs will start.

Craig

Its a gasket that the local stove store has. I'm thinking its garbage! What is the best gasket out there ??? I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for !

Attachments

• how to tell a good quality gasket from a cheap one???
    gasket2.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 215
I've been using the graphite-impregnated gasket where there's frequent movement, like on the loading door or the bypass door. I get it at the local stove shop. It comes on a spool but I didn't notice what brand it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.