How to use vented gas fireplace when electricity goes out?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bz538

Jan 9, 2024
Kentucky
Hello,

I hope this is the correct place to post this question. I bought a house and there were no manuals for the fireplace. It currently turns on via a switch. My question is how do I use it if the electric is out. I understand the fireplace fan won't run without power but I would hope there is a solution to light it without electricity. I don't know the model or anything but will attach pictures. I went to a local heating place hoping there was a peice I could buy or something and they had no intrest in assisting me. My google searches yielded a battery attachment, but I have no way of telling if it would work with my setup since I don't know the model. A hail Mary here that someone may recognize it, or know what solution I need. Thank you in advance for any help.
20240109_185728.jpg
20240109_185853.jpg

Your fireplace’s pilot generates DC voltage. It it measured in milliVolts. This voltage allows the fireplace to function without household AC voltage. Your wall switch is not connected to the household electricity. As long as the pilot is burning, & the components which generate the milliVolts function correctly, your fireplace will work in a power outage. Hope this makes sense.
If you could post a pic of the entire fireplace, one of us may be able to ID what you have.

Reactions: Lennox65
Says superior in the corner. I do have a model number on the insert I guess I was thinking the peice below was separate from the insert.

Shows how little I know!
20240109_202942.jpg