How's everybody doing....................

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BrotherBart said:
crazy_dan said:
well i was done but had a lightning strike a few days ago wiped out all my seasoned wood so i will be burning green and partially seasoned this year. I wanted it to burn but hoped it would be in my stove. Oh well life goes on. :)

This cries out for a story and pictures!

i second that show pics and do tell please

Hello everybody!
This is my first post and just wanted to start off by saying that I've had a lot of fun and learned so much already from you guys....Thank You! This is a really cool community/forum.

I just purchased my first wood stove yesterday, the Oslo, I'm very excited to get it in the house, gotta do a bit of modifying of the old hearth first though, its a bit high.
As of this moment I have 1 lonely cord that I got last year for the chimenea, oak and cherry. I plan on using the stove as a secondary heat source, maybe primary, once I start using it I'll know better how I want to incorporate it into our lives. I was considering obtaining 3 more chords maybe 4, I suppose it would be better to have some leftover wood then to run short.
I am currently doing a lot of renovation/updating to the old homestead as it still had the original single pane windows from 1967 (went through so much oil last year, yikes!!!) so they are being replaced at the present moment, also sprucing up the insulation where ever possible.

I've always wanted a wood burning stove and now I finally got one, cant wait to fire it up!

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Perplexed, dont hesitate next time you come across that scenario in the future, I wish my wife would even consider such level headed actions, also remind your husband that its basically free money (it just happens to be in wood form), who doesnt like that.

Crazy-Dan Thats really too bad, you certainly have a great attitude towards the whole thing which is commedable, there's always more wood out there I suppose, I wish you a speedy replacement of your wood stock.

I inherited 4-5 cords of DRY wild cherry that I will be burning in my inaugural season. This year I harvested about 5 cords myself so far with a crazy mix of pine, weeping cherry, sycamore, pin oak, sweet cherry, locust, black walnut, silver maple, elm, and others. Someone has offered me 15 trees 18"-24" diameter of oak, poplar, locust–how much does everyone estimate that to come to?

Just under 4 cord split stacked and ready to burn of which 95% red oak.....remaineing is cherry and ash. I only need 3 cord for the season. I have some additional trees I need to drop on my property as well as a relatives, so that will go towards next season.

Ultimate goal is to get and stay at least a year ahead.

We are ready ...Flashman, my father in law Jim and me the "WoodButcher" are good to go.

WoodButcher

I am done. have 4 cord of split and soon to be dry hardwood stacked. actually, 1.5 cord was leftover from last year. Jsut bucked up another big beech tree that had broken off 1/2 way up and fell last year or so. its a little punky but still definatly burnable. Dont think the tree sprouted leaves at all this year.

I've got a big wood cut project comming up in a couple days, all the saws are sharp and I'm even packing along a new chain...............

I've been burning wood for 30 years and travelling around rural and semi rural NY,VT,MA and CT for almost as long.

The woodpiles are as big as I've seen them for a while - and growing.

Keep up the good work and don't let up if oil prices start to fall as a result of efforts like this.

We need to keep the pressure on the forces of evil and ignorance who are stengthened and equipped by the high oil prices.

When our politicians try to intervene and make it look like the inevitable was their idea things usually get worse.

Keep on burnin'

Yup, I've never seen so many wood piles in my area either......they're everywhere. Couple of places have had c/s/d sitting in their yards for almost a month now. Every time I drive by I keep thinking "......get that stuff stacked man!)

Yeah- guess I could say I'm good for the season with peices everywhere, got a good pile really drying out atop of a large rock at my folks place alonger with countless other peices that need splitting. But hey- you can nevfer have enough, right..............

Tfin said:
Yup, I've never seen so many wood piles in my area either......they're everywhere. Couple of places have had c/s/d sitting in their yards for almost a month now. Every time I drive by I keep thinking "......get that stuff stacked man!)

I haven't seen much wood in yards or moving around ,here . Houses where I normally see a load of pole wood are out and I can't remember the last time I saw a log truck on the road loaded with polewood. My phone has been pretty quiet for this time of year. Normally the 1st of July is the kickoff of the busy season. My feeling is I'll be swamped at the last minute in Oct - Nov.

Customers who I have been delivering to are more than grateful lately.

It's funny that you guys mention all the woodpiles. My dad and I drove from Lancaster, PA to Ricketts Glen State Park and didn't notice many wood piles at all. Some of the areas up that way aren't the most affluent either, which makes me wonder what cheap energy source they are relying on for heat.

its called extra clothes to include long underwear

I just counted last night. 2 cords of leftover cottonwood, 1.5 cords of leftover alder/fir mix, 7.5 new cords of fir, and 1.5 new cords of alder/cotton mix. Total of 12.5 cords of wood all cut split and stacked ready for the middle of September when we began burning last year. I used 7 cords last year from Sep15 to the end of June.

We have replaced bad windows and are setting up to blow in insulation this summer so we won't need as much this year.

10 cord stacked and drying, probably only use 5 or 6 this winter. Another triaxle load coming in a week or two. Got wood?

Right now I'm looking at about 16 cords that I have in my backyard about 12 of which is cut and split. I'm going to try and list all the species that I remember seeing, most of which is oak - Red and White Oak, Hackberry, Locust, Cherry, Walnut, Mulberry, Maple, Hickory, Pine, Poplar, Eastern Red Cedar, Ash, and Birch. I am currently building an 8-10 cord Holz. I can't stop searching craigslist and I hope to have 20+ cords by summers end.

I just cut and split a cord of white oak that we picked up last weekend. We using a measuring stick for good 18" logs (thank you for the suggestion) and pulling out 54" legnths. I was a little nervous using the chainsaw for the first time Jonsered 670, but I worked cut up the whole trailer load, split and stacked it myself. My husband came how and was like what did you do with the wood??? Then he saw how much I added to our rows next to the already stuffed shed. I think he was impressed. Although I did have to hold the saw down with my foot to pull it to start it.

Anyway we have 12-14 cords. All of it red, white, & black oak. I kinda wanted to find some other wood just to see the difference in how it burns. But Im not complaining:)

Roughly 7 cords of wood split and stacked (and restacked)...The 2 or so cords in the smaller pile will be pretty green as it is mostly mullberry and hickory just cut and split in the last few weeks. The long pile that we just restacked will be good to go though.

Attachments

• 101_0019.jpg
    101_0019.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 123
  • 101_0020.jpg
    101_0020.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 115
  • 101_0008.jpg
    101_0008.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 112
Yeah- I'll be set. As a matter of fact, although I didn't get to do the Big Cut today as planned, I did cut up a few fallen trees at the corner of the lot. I was really meticulous on the sharpening and man! Never saw the saw chew threw anything with such ease, I didn't get beatup of anything and came away with half a truckload of wood in about 45 mins....................................

Status
Not open for further replies.