Huge fireplace, what to do

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Thekeymaster

Nov 25, 2023
MCM style home. Ridiculous internal chimney 12'x4'. Huge fireplace openings. 5'w x 38"h x 36" deep. Only tapers a couple inches at the back. Opening starts 14 inches off the floor. There's brick in front but lower so whatever it is has to not need legs past the opening.

Same thing downstairs just offset to the right side of the giant chimney instead of left. Some MEP stuff in the middle.

Right now it just has a sliding screen. Chimney draws fabulous. So much mass and no exterior wall. Almost zero preheating the flue for zero smoke.

I need an insert or stove so I can burn more to take advantage of it. I've had pretty big fires in it and smaller fires.

Originally I thought that the opening is so big I'd just put a stove in it. Was worried that an insert would have a huge trim kit that was a wall of black. Now I'm not so sure. I used to burn a lot in a lopi insert at a previous home I had.

What do I put in there? 4200sqft house. 2100 for the floor it's on. Won't need to heat anything on the other floor. Never gets below 64 down there unless it 10 degrees outside.

Put in an insulated liner and a block-off plate then connect it to a big stove with a blower on it. With a 38" lintel height, several 3 cu ft stoves will fit in there.

MCM style home. Ridiculous internal chimney 12'x4'. Huge fireplace openings. 5'w x 38"h x 36" deep. Only tapers a couple inches at the back. Opening starts 14 inches off the floor. There's brick in front but lower so whatever it is has to not need legs past the opening.

Same thing downstairs just offset to the right side of the giant chimney instead of left. Some MEP stuff in the middle.

Right now it just has a sliding screen. Chimney draws fabulous. So much mass and no exterior wall. Almost zero preheating the flue for zero smoke.

I need an insert or stove so I can burn more to take advantage of it. I've had pretty big fires in it and smaller fires.

Originally I thought that the opening is so big I'd just put a stove in it. Was worried that an insert would have a huge trim kit that was a wall of black. Now I'm not so sure. I used to burn a lot in a lopi insert at a previous home I had.

What do I put in there? 4200sqft house. 2100 for the floor it's on. Won't need to heat anything on the other floor. Never gets below 64 down there unless it 10 degrees outsi
Agree with the above advice. Big Stove for the Square footage.

How big is the flue(s)?

Bricks are 12" so easy to see the scale. I was wrong. Chimney is 12' x 3' + the lower extension. Pic of mechanical door opening. It opens a door that goes along the wall to both side walls.past the door the bricks are tapered(little hard to see) from the 5 feet wide down to the smaller size that goes up to the roof. Reverse ranch MCM so this is top story. That little square in the last picture is daylight and the bottom of the chimney cap. I didn't measure the smallest width of the flue, but I could easily feed a 6" round double wall up it myself. Probably 8" as well. Flat roof with easy access to top of chimney. I wouldn't even need a step stool let alone a ladder. I work in architecture. My house is like my pet project.

I'd really love to get some better use out of this. Basement fireplace is offset right of this one, but identical. To the left is all the MEP flue. All the way to the right was a 24" wall oven on the other side. Oven is long gone. I built a built-in cabinet in the space and the cooktop exhaust goes up in there. Before the cabinet I built, I could stand inside there. Tightly!

20231127_150341.jpg20231127_150432.jpg20231127_150647.jpg20231127_150727.jpg

• Love
Reactions: JamesGuido
There's room to put a 3 cu ft stove in there, just pick your style and desired features. Some big stoves to look at are the Lopi Liberty, Osburn 3500, Pacific Energy Summit or Alderlea T6, Jotul F55, Blaze King Princess, Buck 91, Regency 3500, etc.

Reactions: EbS-P
Bricks are 12" so easy to see the scale. I was wrong. Chimney is 12' x 3' + the lower extension. Pic of mechanical door opening. It opens a door that goes along the wall to both side walls.past the door the bricks are tapered(little hard to see) from the 5 feet wide down to the smaller size that goes up to the roof. Reverse ranch MCM so this is top story. That little square in the last picture is daylight and the bottom of the chimney cap. I didn't measure the smallest width of the flue, but I could easily feed a 6" round double wall up it myself. Probably 8" as well. Flat roof with easy access to top of chimney. I wouldn't even need a step stool let alone a ladder. I work in architecture. My house is like my pet project.

I'd really love to get some better use out of this. Basement fireplace is offset right of this one, but identical. To the left is all the MEP flue. All the way to the right was a 24" wall oven on the other side. Oven is long gone. I built a built-in cabinet in the space and the cooktop exhaust goes up in there. Before the cabinet I built, I could stand inside there. Tightly!

View attachment 319613View attachment 319614View attachment 319615View attachment 319616
Let me spend your money! Alderlea T6 With an insulated liner. There that was easy. I’m not scrubbing those bricks though;)

That's actually not Huge, but a perfect size to put almost any free standing woodstove in. You have great options.

Thanks for the pics...........its very big, and looks nice.