HS Manchester install Prefab

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SoulOnFire

Feb 2, 2023
Northern NJ
Hey Everyone. Been lurking here for a good 6 months and just pulled the trigger on a Hearthstone Manchester. Now it's time for the install, which I thought I had figured out, but I just learned something new and wanted to get some opinions. Original plan was the yank the Majestic Prefab ZC out and run DVL up through the existing Chimney Chase. I just learned that there are some options to line the factory built chimney system. I have a triple wall air cooled chimney that I believe to be Majestic as well. Has anyone used the liner system for this type of chimney?

One of the suggestions I got from the local stove store was to a liner, put a T in the majestic firebox and rear exit the Manchester. Anyone ever do this or seen this and can comment on whether this is a bad plan? Seems cheaper up front, but I'm concerned long term may not be the best. I was looking at 6DF304-25KFB on woodstovepro.com. If I go with the DVL should I go galvanized outer to save a few bucks instead of stainless since it's in the chase or should I still go stainless? And yes, I have a stack of split wood I've been seasoning for over a year in preparation for the stove, just procrastinated on the stove (dumb I know). It's just under 25 ft from the stove top to the top of the chase. The house is 2 story 2000sf built in 1984.

I went with the Manchester for 3 reasons. 1. My beautiful bride liked the look of it. 2. My beautiful bride wanted a good fireview. 3. Shorter depth than the BK Ashford so would protrude into the living room less. Hoping I made the right decision and didn't just toss a bunch of money up the chimney. Thanks in advance for the help.

The DuraFlex factory-built reline kit is designed for this purpose. Note that it also comes in 316 stainless - 6DF316-25KFB.
DVL can not be used for this application. It's stovepipe and only for use in the room envelope.

Pay attention to the clearance and hearth requirements for the stove. This may require mantel modification and hearth extension.

The DuraFlex factory-built reline kit is designed for this purpose. Note that it also comes in 316 stainless - 6DF316-25KFB.
DVL can not be used for this application. It's stovepipe and only for use in the room envelope.
Thanks begreen! Is there a benefit to the 316 over 304? And thanks for pointing out the DVL difference, I thought the Class A chimney pipe was also called DVL. I think I understand the difference now. I was looking at the DuraVent Class A Galvanized. Looks like there is a dizzying array of delineations between material, pipe grade, etc.

Pay attention to the clearance and hearth requirements for the stove. This may require mantel modification and hearth extension.
Mantel is going up a foot (unless I go with the root canal method, then I have to rethink where to put the mantel if at all), and the hearth is getting built out significantly. Tore the old hearth up already, have the Durock down, just waiting on the flooring selection. Otherwise, there's nothing on the wall inside the clearances.

Thanks begreen! Is there a benefit to the 316 over 304? And thanks for pointing out the DVL difference, I thought the Class A chimney pipe was also called DVL. I think I understand the difference now. I was looking at the DuraVent Class A Galvanized. Looks like there is a dizzying array of delineations between material, pipe grade, etc.
316 is more corrosion resistant.
DuraTech class A pipe would be used if the Majestic was completely removed and new chimney installed.

After getting some feedback from local resources, I think taking out the old and putting in a new class A would be the best path forward. The only thing I'm not quite clear on is that I know I need to be 36" above the peak and "everything else within 10'", but does that include the oil flue that's two feet away and runs up through the same chase? And does it include the top of the chase? Any chance anyone knows how that is supposed to work? Thanks in advance!

It should be at least a foot above the furnace cap to reduce the possibility of smoke siphoning down the furnace flue.

10-3-2 rule.JPG

I went with the Manchester for 3 reasons. 1. My beautiful bride liked the look of it. 2. My beautiful bride wanted a good fireview. 3. Shorter depth than the BK Ashford so would protrude into the living room less.
Exactly the same decision here a few weeks ago...