Huge stone fireplace 1920's house questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

LeahW

I just purchased this house and I need advice on who to call to advise me on what to do with this. I don't know if I should keep the stove insert or remove it. I want to make sure it's safe to use either way. The room upstairs directly above this has a fireplace too but without the stove insert. I don't understand this. I don't have any pics of the upstairs one but I will later in the week. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Huge stone fireplace 1920's house questions

No I haven't done anything yet. I just bought the place. I don't even know who to call. Who exactly inspects chimneys? Chimney sweep companies don't have a good reputation around here so I'm not sure what to do.
There are lots of crooked sweeps in ny yes but there are also quite a few reputable ones as well. You really should have had the chimneys inspected before closing

I would have bought the house regardless of the condition of the chimney. Ok I guess a chimney sweep company is what I need then. I'll ask around the area for recommendations. Hopefully, I'll find an honest one. Thanks.

I can tell you chances are that insert is probably just slid into the firebox with no connection to the flue. If it was used much the chimney is probably a mess and there is a good chance there was atleast one fire in it cracking the liners. A new insert and liner will most likely be in your future. But get an inspection. If it is in the catskills the sweep market is much better than long island. Look at csia and the new york chimney sweep guild as well as local references.

Reactions: LeahW
Yes, I would also guess that this is a slammer. If the intent is to use an insert to heat, replace it with a modern stove. It will heat a lot better and you will get a nice fire view.

Nice place, looks like the house is a diamond in the rough, what ever you do, don't get rid of that stone chimney, its beautiful. Like what Bhollar stated, an inspection, chimney cleaning then an insulated liner is needed, depending on the inside diameter of the chimney flue will determine what type of liner you can fit, the insert to me looks like an older (1980's) fisher knock off, they are in-efficient stoves compared to today's tech.
Also since the house looks huge, you not married to just that location for a wood stove / insert, I dont know the layout of the rest of the place, but there's noting stopping you from installing a freestanding stove with its own class a metal chimney in another part of the house, the options are almost endless (no stoves in the bedrooms though) but that place looks like a nice spread, looks like you have some firewood standing behind the house to.

Looks like there are two or three flues in that chimney. Do you have a oil fired furnace or other appliances in the basement? Another option is to put a wood fired furnace or hydronic heater in the basement and then you can distribute the heat throughout the addition to the original house as well.

Congratulations on your lovely home!

Great looking house!

Beautiful house and fireplace. You are gonna need a big wood stove, that house is huge!

I would put two @Ashful s (edit......ashfords) in that joint!

Wow thank you for all of your input and kind words. I just got back from the Catskills, where the house is located, and I had asked around for a chimney guy when I was up there. The funny thing is that I asked a contractor, architect and some tradespeople and no one had any recommendations. There aren't many chimney people that show up on an internet search either. It seems strange that so many people up there have stoves and fireplaces but not many people are around to service them. I will keep looking though. This house is indeed a diamond in the rough and I want to do justice to that beautiful chimney and fireplace. Of course safety is my number one concern and producing extra heat would be nice too since it's going to cost a pretty penny to heat the place.

Reactions: ispinwool
Wow thank you for all of your input and kind words. I just got back from the Catskills, where the house is located, and I had asked around for a chimney guy when I was up there. The funny thing is that I asked a contractor, architect and some tradespeople and no one had any recommendations. There aren't many chimney people that show up on an internet search either. It seems strange that so many people up there have stoves and fireplaces but not many people are around to service them. I will keep looking though. This house is indeed a diamond in the rough and I want to do justice to that beautiful chimney and fireplace. Of course safety is my number one concern and producing extra heat would be nice too since it's going to cost a pretty penny to heat the place.
Did you check with the ny chimney sweep guild?