Hum again. Moving a House?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

clancey

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2021
Colorado
I am checking into moving a 23x23 foot house and does anyone know about "house moving" and is it possible? I hope I put this in the right thread so that It won't upset our guy....What kind of company would one call to find out information...I did call one and ask them about this and waiting for them to call me back.. Its a moving and rigging company here in Denver...I think they "lift up" basements or something...Does anybody on the forum know anything about this type of project?

I am checking into moving a 23x23 foot house and does anyone know about "house moving" and is it possible? I hope I put this in the right thread so that It won't upset our guy....What kind of company would one call to find out information...I did call one and ask them about this and waiting for them to call me back.. Its a moving and rigging company here in Denver...I think they "lift up" basements or something...Does anybody on the forum know anything about this type of project?
The rigging guys should be able to direct you to someone who does it if they don't.

And yes anything can be done it all depends on the budget. They lifted and rotated a 150 yr old 2500 squ ft field stone house near us so it faced the pond. It was really amazing

Found Mammoth Moving & Rigging on google , say they do house relocations. 303 841 7000.

Lots of house raising around CT due to a whole lot of bad concrete poured in the 70's.

Good luck!

Its pretty expensive...especially if you live "in town"...lots of things that have to be moved to make way for a house...and lots of permits to be had,

That's a big help to know that it is possible and thank you PJ for that information and it is the same company that I left a message with so I am on the right track here and will let you all know what they say...I am trying to set up an appointment with them to see what they can offer in the way of services. This is a bad thing for me for I am old but I love my home and put in a lot of very workable things with it to make it comfortable, safe and convenient for me. People tell me just sell it but I want to check out moving it because I know the house and know how its been taken care of over a many year time table. This is a new adventure that I do not look forward to but I will check it out...YES--my beautiful wood stove and wood shed will go with me if I decide to go this route...Hoping with Gods grace to have at least 10 more years..old mrs clancey

Yea it might be not possible Brennd. but I will just have to check it out and if not I will sell it and look for another property..Just checking it out for now...I know there are people that move trailers from state to state and it is expensive but I am curious and hoping I will be able to set up an appointment with this above mentioned company..thanks..clancey

I've seen homes being moved. It is possible. However, I've only seen it (moved over roads to another location, rather than rotated or lifted in place) done on homes that were very old or otherwise (culturally) valuable, suggesting that it is not a reasonable option for other cases.

While I am skeptical this is a viable option, it's good that you explore and ask for pricing. If they give you a verbal price range that is do-able for you, ask them to provide a written quote that lists all that is included, and all that is excluded. And contact a builder for advice on what would be needed beyond what the "moving" company includes. (I.e. they can put the home someplace, but your sewer/sceptic needs to be connected etc... and first designed to be in the right place etc.)

However (not to open a can of worms...), if you are exploring this because of the noise issue you've detailed on other threads, I would be hesitant to go this route - while it (noise) may be from outside, there is a fair chance it originates in your home too. I would suggest you first categorically exclude that it is from your home, lest you move your problems with you...

Reactions: sloeffle

Very good advice everyone and yes it is because of noise issue and I have checked out all that I could about that and only Its either 2 percent or 20 percent of people can hear this type of noise--I forget the number that I was told by the ear doctor.. The front of my property and now the back of my property is affected with them running lines under the property to get to the back alley..This problem is world wide but it is the sign of the times and a brand new culture coming. This next item is just to give you an idea of what it sounds like in my house to me and it is 24 hours a day and gets worse at night time...This is heart breaking to me and I have had ten friends over and none of them---I repeat none of them hear it..My health and ears are fine...I can hear it all over the city because its really there and I am just sensitive to the type of noise so I am checking into things and most likely will sell and try to find another location maybe in the Spring but for now just checking it out..A good project for wintertime I should say...how terrible...thanks everyone...clancey...This next item is not meant to be controversial but just wanted to give you a taste of the noise that I hear...

I am a little curious what this has to do with a brand new culture

A culture of new technology and more noise and a different way of life for the younger generation. If would be just like going back in our generation 40 years ago and to see the changes that has transpired and their's (bless them) will be no different but they will be adjusted to all of this "new world" of computers and robots and very different living arrangements. I am glad that I am old for I feel that my generation had the best of it but these young ones will feel the same way for they know no different...New world ahead..clancey

A culture of new technology and more noise and a different way of life for the younger generation. If would be just like going back in our generation 40 years ago and to see the changes that has transpired and their's (bless them) will be no different but they will be adjusted to all of this "new world" of computers and robots and very different living arrangements. I am glad that I am old for I feel that my generation had the best of it but these young ones will feel the same way for they know no different...New world ahead..clancey
That has been here for decades now

One can move a house easily but it’s not cheap.

You are right there and the cheapest "ball park figure" I got so far is 50,000 and that does not even tell one about distances for the move..Plus there are a few permits that one has to take out to do all of this --demolition--or whatever and even more red tape..But I will follow up on all of this and keep you all posted on this affair..Hate the thought of moving and right now trying to get some kind of noise cancellation headphones... but the "subtle vibration" is annoying to say the least..I cannot believe that other people cannot hear this but they can't--have not found one yet..Life at times can be a trip one can plan so good but there always seems to be something that interferes with your planning..Right now I have a huge black tent put up in the yard next store--huge I say up to the first story roof and over to the garage and this is blocking off all air and to the left I have a house being remodeled to where they are building a "mother in laws" apartment type of building "right in the middle of the yard" with height going up to roof level---no air there either,, plenty of people coming into the neighborhood and they are of the poorer bunch and walk past my house to go to the store down at the corner. If I would have known this when I started my porch and stove I would have never built it,,but I will work with what I have and still doing fine..thanks..clancey

If you are bothered by the noises of the city why not just move out to the country ?

Noise out here in the sticks too, just different kinds. coming into harvest season be lots of noise, then you have animal noise. wind noise, live by a lot of wind turbines- another set of noises and vibrations- course there are occasions when things are eerily quiet. Only to be split by a scream/s from some animal/s. whole different set of scents also. For me the metropolitan areas cause some medical issues. That is a whole nother subject.

Yea now everyday I just look through the real estate ads and the net to see what is out there..I need to move near some type of services so that I can get food and "stuff",, and doctors and dentists and other important aspects of life..trying to stay independent as long as I can..I will find something or figure all this out maybe even head down south..or somewhere else with a warmer climate. I am going to have to wait until this covert and political climate changes so I will be here for awhile and do the best that I can..Right now I am checking into noise cancelling headphones and will talk to the ear doctor again next week...an awesome doctor...clancey

Yea now everyday I just look through the real estate ads and the net to see what is out there..I need to move near some type of services so that I can get food and "stuff",, and doctors and dentists and other important aspects of life..trying to stay independent as long as I can..I will find something or figure all this out maybe even head down south..or somewhere else with a warmer climate. I am going to have to wait until this covert and political climate changes so I will be here for awhile and do the best that I can..Right now I am checking into noise cancelling headphones and will talk to the ear doctor again next week...an awesome doctor...clancey
Covert and political climate?

Covid I believe

Reactions: bholler
Not a good time to buy anyway. At least in the NE. There’s no way the real estate (well over) asking sales can hold there own IMO.

How about popping…a few..rounds of a large..hand gun next to…each ear? Perhaps you’ll be a little less sensitive…detune..your ears f you will.

lol yea its covid--slip of the mind on how I feel..lol..Yea all your suggestions sounds good to me even with the popping of the ears--that would work--lol...You people are crazy...lol enjoyed..clancey

There is a lot to consider. How tall is the house you want to move? The taller the house, the more difficult the move. I worked for a utility company, and I would raise or remove lines to allow a house to pass. It was not unusual to see a house with the upper story cut off in order to move it.

The house I am in, I had raised and a basement placed under it. Half way through I fired the contractor as he was doing a lousy job and not paying the help, which put me liable to a mechanics lien. He missed getting the foundation under the house by 7.5". I had to frame the daylight portion of the basement, lower the house to just above the foundation, and move it the 7.5" myself. The moral here is, make sure that if you hire a contractor, he has a good reputation. I knew the one I hired was iffy, but he was the only one local that did house moves. He thought he had me over a barrel, but little did he know that I had done this before.

There used to be several house movers in the area, but rules about lead based paint, and the subsequent mitigation requirements put them out of business. Just more for you think about.

One other item to consider is realized value for the money spent on the move. Generally when a person puts money into a home, usually in the form of renovations, the homeowner expect to see that money recovered in increased value of the property. Moving a house is just a money pit with no return on investment, yes the new piece of land will go up in value by the value of the home, but the existing property also decreases in value by that same amount.

I've never moved a house, but I do work industrial facility construction and we have moved a few facilities over the years, and am in the process of moving a small power plant right now. The rough figure we work with is it costs 2/3rds of new construction to move a plant and get it up and running, and then your still left with an X number of year old plant. Most companies just sell their old assets or demolish them and build new in the new location.