Hung up/Snagged trees

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Skier76 said:
I cut down a few smaller trees using a an open face notch and a straight back cut. What a difference! I guess I just need more practice. Again, a learning experience. Another thing I learned...how to get a snagged tree un snagged by cutting it down in sections.

Just be careful in cutting off the bottom sections . . . you can pinch your saw or do much worse . . . have the tree come down on you . . . that said . . . it's done by a lot of folks to get trees down on the ground . . . just be careful.

Skier76 said:
I cut down a few smaller trees using a an open face notch and a straight back cut. What a difference! I guess I just need more practice. Again, a learning experience. Another thing I learned...how to get a snagged tree un snagged by cutting it down in sections.

I did not see it mentioned Skier but that notch was not why your tree went the wrong way, it is simply the way the tree WANTED to go. I cut a few trees for my buddy last week. Good thing is that i had plenty of options to dropping them. Dropped an 14 inch maple right on his wood splitting pile, right where he wanted it and dropped a 24 inch white oak down the back yard hill, perfect again. The reason teh drops were so perfect is that I planned on dropping them where they wanted to go. Trying to make a tree go the way YOU want it to is where you get into trouble.

This tree looked straight...but it must have had just enough of a tilt to it. I may have ben able to correct it with wedges....but who knows at this point. I'm just glad it didn't do any damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.