1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Hurricane Sandy

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by thewoodlands, Oct 22, 2012.

1. KaptJaq

KaptJaq Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Thank you, we did well. Everything that fell in on my property missed the house. Took out the power drop, phone connections, and everything else suspended through the trees but missed the house... Hope everybody else was as lucky as we were...

Now to start working on fire wood for 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018... Some huge red oaks fell on the block. The partially rotted ones broke in the middle, the healthy one rolled their root balls. Some trunks are close to three feet in diameter and well over 50 feet tall. Just need the schools to open so I don't have to watch the kids and can get some bucking done. Probably time for a better saw...

KaptJaq

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Good to have you back. You folks on lI got hit hard. I'm glad to hear that the house made it ok as well as your family. Be careful cutting out there. Leave the snagged trees to the pros and watch out for widowmaker limbs snagged up high. You never know when they will fall.
  3. KaptJaq

KaptJaq Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    There is soo much lying on the ground that I will be busy for a long time. The crews cut anything that was blocking the roads and pushed it to the side. Any hangers or leaners over the road were pulled down and also pushed to the side.True clean-up will follow later... While HydroONE, the Ontario power company, was hooking up power to my house they used the bucket truck to tie a line to the only hanger in my yard. Used the truck and a few hundred feet of 5/8 line to pull it down...

Two days after the storm the local Home Depot had a truck load of chain saws and generators come in. I saw 4 pallets of chain saws and they were selling the generators right off the truck. Both were sold out in an hour and a half. I see a lot of people with their new Home Depot chain saws trying to be lumber jacks or trying to hook their house up to the new generators. They are the ones I worry about.

KaptJaq
  4. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    10-4 on that. And I'll bet that not one of these folks got protective gear.
  5. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

It's a ways off, lets just hope it stays that way.

zap

Attached Files:

6. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

Dr. zap, keep us posted. I wont have time to watch the weather this weekend. Too much oak to process. :)
  7. thewoodlands

Attached Files:

8. Badfish740

Badfish740 Minister of Fire

Reminds me of the last big storm we got (October 2011 Noreaster)-I went to Lowes to get a longer 12 gauge extension cord in order to move the generator further away from the house and saw folks carting out armloads of $5 bundles of wood and Duraflame logs :eek: Needless to say, chimney fires were in the news for a few weeks afterwards...
  9. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

Another nor'easter..... The last one wasn't nothing, except maybe the coast unfortunately.
  10. katwillny

katwillny Guest

zap you called it early on. they were not wrong. This was the worst I have seen. I am bringing a truckload of supplies down to NYC tomorrow from a collection I took up the last two weeks here at my job.
    WellSeasoned and zap like this.
  11. thewoodlands

My wife at this moment is getting some good old jackets ready to be sent down through our local fire department, some of the jackets are like brand new.

zap
    WellSeasoned likes this.