Huskee 22 ton from TSC or Troy-Bilt 27 Ton from Lowes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bill9009

Jan 11, 2010
NC
First post here, I have been lurking for a long time and have gotten alot of good information. Here is my dilemma. I am looking to purchase a splitter. I have heard good things about both these splitters.
First is the Huskee 22 ton from TSC you all seem very familiar with. The other is the Troy-Bilt 27 Ton from Lowes. I can get the Huskee for $1099, which is retail price. Now I can get the Troy bilt for $1049-10% coupon, so the troy bilt ends up being $944.10.

The differences I can see besides the ratings 22-27 ton, Is the huskee has a briggs (190cc) and the TB has a honda(160cc), but its only the GC not the gx series honda.
The huskee has a 14 second cycle time and the troy bilt a 19 sec.

Anyone know why the difference in ton rating, or any other differences. Also which one would you all recommend. Obviously the TB from lowes is cheaper which is why I am leaning towards that one.

So my question is which one would you choose?

Thanks for the help and all the good info!

Bill, is that the Huskee splitter they've been running for $999 the last two months? If so, see if they'll honor the price--seems like the cycle time and engine might be better.

S

thinkxingu said:
Bill, is that the Huskee splitter they've been running for $999 the last two months? If so, see if they'll honor the price--seems like the cycle time and engine might be better.

S

Yes the same one, but it is 1099 now, if it was 999 I would probably jump on it. I found one at a TSC near me and they would not budge on the price, even though it was obvous that it had been sitting outside for a while. There was some surface rust as well as some paint peeling. The manager said sorry its brand new and its 1099. I said thank you very much and left. How can they sell something as brand new if its rusting.

This is the stove the wood is for ,Appalachian 4n1-xl

Attachments

• photo 2(8).jpg
    photo 2(8).jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 735
Do the search for past discussions about the relationship between cycle time and pump size, and the horsepower requirements for a given pump...

In short, the Troy-built (really an MTD) has a higher ton rating because it has a larger bore cylinder than the Huskee. It has a slower cycle time because they used the same size pump and matching engine as the Huskee...

Either would probably do about as well in splitting, as you won't find much that a 20 won't split, especially if you give it a couple of hits... IMHO slow cycle times are seriously frustrating, and I would seriously downrate the MTD splitter for that reason - however either will do a reasonable job for you, and both machines have pretty good reputations, with maybe the Huskee having a slight edge...

Gooserider

It's almost a toss up bill...so around here I'd do business with TSC. Mostly because they're more wiling to work with you after the sale. Lowes will refer you to a 3rd party...but your TSC may be different.

I think both are decent deals and would serve you well . . . and either one is better than splitting by hand.

The Troy-bilt/MTD may be a bit slower than the Huskee . . . which may or may not be a big deal. My MTD was notably slower than the older MTD I had borrowed from my Uncle and it took a bit to get used to this fact . . . but it was not a deal breaker for me . . . plus I rarely split all the way through.

There really doesn't seem to be a large differnce in the tonnage . . . I would suspect that most anything you would need to split could be done with either the Huskee or MTD. There may be a few pieces from time to time that the smaller tonnage may not handle, but I would guess this would be a rare event.

As for the engine . . . originally I was leaning towards a Honda engine . . . but in the end I went with the B & S engine which has actually run well . . . plus parts are easy and cheap to replace . . . heck, for not a lot of money I can just plunk a whole new engine on it if need be . . . that said . . . I still like Honda engines.

In the interest of being as open as possible . . . I do have a 27-ton MTD splitter . . . bought it since it was a lot closer than the two TSC stores in the area (10 minute drive vs. 45 minute drive), I opted for the larger tonnage as I have a lot of elm and it was a decent deal.

I tend to agree with the post above but with some qualifications. First I'd really like to know just what it is you intend to split. I say that because I do happen to believe that a 20-ton splitter (4" diameter cylinder) can be a little light for some people's use whereas 27 tons (4.5" cylinder) will plow through all but the toughest crotches of wood. If you have to bang away at your larger pieces a couple of times it can make up a a long cycle time on another splitter that could do the work in one wack. I'd go for the larger diameter cylinder and not worry too much about the engine other than to note a well maintained (fill in the blank) that is kept dry should outlast a (fill in the blank) that is left out in the weather.

both that close in price I would buy the troy built the honda are great and the extra tonage is a +, you will very rarely do a full cycle.

Just my two cents but I don't think the Honda GC series engines are all that great. I have one on a pressure washer and don't like it. I'd rather have the Briggs.

Honda GX series is a whole other ballgame obviously.

peterc38 said:
Just my two cents but I don't think the Honda GC series engines are all that great. I have one on a pressure washer and don't like it. I'd rather have the Briggs.

Honda GX series is a whole other ballgame obviously.

I have 2 of them and one is on a pressure washer I have done over 100 cords with the splitter never a issue.Power washed the whole house and 1200 sq ft of deck and the drive 60x20 the garage 24x24 total around 4000 sq ft of surface + cars and equipment never one issue both start in one pull every-time... What issue do you have?

Hi

I shopped both and got the 27 Ton Troy Bilt / Honda unit at Lowes over the 22 Ton. I never know what type of wood I'm going to split next. Elm from along a fence row or in a church yard may have ridiculus knots, near petrified crotch collection from a nieghbor... I find the 27 Ton vertical feature I use once in a while but appreciate it on the scrounged rounds that others pass on. I can pull the splitter up, lever the round in and load smaller/safer chunks in the truck.

On nice clear logs in the woods the cycle time is not so important as the splits 'pop' right open and rarely does the ram move more thatn 6 or 8".

I will say if I had to burn much Elm I would want a faster cycle time, but I avoid Elm and that seems to be working well.

ATB,
Mike

zzr7ky said:
Hi

I shopped both and got the 27 Ton Troy Bilt / Honda unit at Lowes over the 22 Ton. I never know what type of wood I'm going to split next. Elm from along a fence row or in a church yard may have rediculus knots, near petrified crotch collection from a nieghbor... I find the 27 Ton vertical feature I use once in a while but appreciate it on the scrounged rounds that others pass on. I can pull the splitter up, lever the round in and load smaller/safer chunks in the truck.

On nice clear logs in the woods the cycle time is not so important as the splits 'pop' right open and rarely does the ram move more thatn 6 or 8".

I will say if I had to burn much Elm I would want a faster cycle time, but I avoid Elm and that seems to be working well.

ATB,
Mike

I paid 1399.00 for the same unit 1-1/2 ago and at the price you paid great deal...on a great splitter

i had a tough time with warranty issues with mtd they paid up finally but it took some time and they would not give me full amount with splitter fully under warranty.. i bought a new spitter and went with the husky 22 ton ( 36 month warranty) mostly from people on here and the good folks at tractor supply hooking me with a good deal.

smokinjay said:
zzr7ky said:
Hi

I shopped both and got the 27 Ton Troy Bilt / Honda unit at Lowes over the 22 Ton. I never know what type of wood I'm going to split next. Elm from along a fence row or in a church yard may have rediculus knots, near petrified crotch collection from a nieghbor... I find the 27 Ton vertical feature I use once in a while but appreciate it on the scrounged rounds that others pass on. I can pull the splitter up, lever the round in and load smaller/safer chunks in the truck.

ATB,
Mike

I paid 1399.00 for the same unit 1-1/2 ago and at the price you paid great deal...on a great splitter

I also paid $1399 at a local independent about 2 months ago. I could have gotten it at Lowes for $1250 but I like supporting the little guys. The dealer also had free pickup/delivery for 3 years and they handle all warranty work for me. (already used it for bent cradle).

smokinjay said:
zzr7ky said:
Hi

ATB,
Mike

Yeah my local lowes can special order it for me for 1349 which i believe is retail now, but the lowes about 2 hours away has them for 1049, and has them in stock(I bet they had a few too many in stock and are trying to get rid of them). I believe I will not be disappointed with the cycle time since it is only a difference between 14 and 19 secs, and I wont be doing full cycles anyways. I really will only be using the splitter for what I cannot split by hand with the fiskars. So it will be wood on the tougher side with knots and whatever else.

Also I was not to pleased with the TSC personell when I was there last. The manager was not very friendly when I asked for a discount on the rusted up splitter they had outside on display.

So you're going to spend $1K on a splitter that you will only use on a couple pieces a year? Why don't you just cookie them with the chainsaw and then burn the cookies in the shoulder season?

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
So you're going to spend $1K on a splitter that you will only use on a couple pieces a year? Why don't you just cookie them with the chainsaw and then burn the cookies in the shoulder season?

Matt

I have alot of pieces that cant be split manually, cutting them with a chainsaw would take a while. I am leaning towards the TB, since it would only be used for these larger pieces.

Hi -

I don't think he's suggesting you cut them lengthwise, but instead you just cut the crotch or knarly pieces into slices that are say say 5-7" thick and be done with them. They dry quickly this way weather split or not. I did it this way for years.

ATB,
Mike P

I have the TB 33 ton. Cycle time is slow, but I split alone (yaaa- with nobody else. You know when I split alone- I prefer to be by myself)- so that slow return represents me picking up a new log and loading it. If I'm resplitting a half on there already, then I don't let it return all the way.

I wouldn't mind it a bit faster, but in addition to my working alone, a little slower is a reasonable safety feature to get your $#!t straight. A little haste with one of these suckers will cost you a hand. Well- would cost me a hand, because I start getting stupid after wood processing for 8 hrs.

Oh- and the Honda engine on mine rocks. First pull every damn time.

bill9009 said:
smokinjay said:
zzr7ky said:
Hi

ATB,
Mike

Yeah my local lowes can special order it for me for 1349 which i believe is retail now, but the lowes about 2 hours away has them for 1049, and has them in stock(I bet they had a few too many in stock and are trying to get rid of them). I believe I will not be disappointed with the cycle time since it is only a difference between 14 and 19 secs, and I wont be doing full cycles anyways. I really will only be using the splitter for what I cannot split by hand with the fiskars. So it will be wood on the tougher side with knots and whatever else.

Also I was not to pleased with the TSC personell when I was there last. The manager was not very friendly when I asked for a discount on the rusted up splitter they had outside on display.

I might suggest that if you do buy the splitter you may want to put up the vaunted Fiskars and just bring it out from time to time to remind you why splitting with a hydraulic splitter is so much easier on the body . . . and of course keep it around to split down those splits that you will find from time to time in your woodpile that are a bit too large for your tastes.

Generally when a person buys a splitter they tend to use it a lot more than they do their ax, splitting maul, etc. and not just keep it in reserve for those difficult to split pieces . . . I mean to say, if I attempted to justify the purchase of a splitter just for those challenging pieces I don't think I could really do so . . . which is why the splitter is used pretty much all the time . . . although once in a while I dig out the ax and split some rounds for "fun."

Adios Pantalones said:
I have the TB 33 ton. Cycle time is slow, but I split alone (yaaa- with nobody else. You know when I split alone- I prefer to be by myself)- so that slow return represents me picking up a new log and loading it. If I'm resplitting a half on there already, then I don't let it return all the way.

I wouldn't mind it a bit faster, but in addition to my working alone, a little slower is a reasonable safety feature to get your $#!t straight. A little haste with one of these suckers will cost you a hand. Well- would cost me a hand, because I start getting stupid after wood processing for 8 hrs.

Oh- and the Honda engine on mine rocks. First pull every damn time.

I work alone too so I like a slower cycle time for all the reasons that you mentioned.

The 33 ton troybilt has the GX series Honda correct?

I didnt read through all the posts, but I have a 27ton Troy built with a Honda engine, cant remember off the top of my head how many horse it is. Anyway, I do like this splitter alot, its light weight and not hard to move around, but plenty of power to split just about anything you can get over to it. The cycle speed is a little slower than what I am used to, but its not bad. My buddy who I cut and sell firewood with has a 35 ton Huskey. Here are the reasons I dont like it. Its heavy as all get out and takes two people to move it around unless you are on nice smooth even ground. Its really loud, dont remember what engine is on it. Also the cycle speed is really slow when its cold and it does take some time for it to warm up to get the speed going. Because of the power, 35tons and its steel wedge, I welded extra "ears" on up on it about 4 inches for the cutting edge which really speeds up splitting since it spreads the wood apart faster. It made a huge difference!

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.