Huskee 28 Ton Splitter Update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

richg

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2005
OK< gang, I've had the thing for about a week and can offer some feedback. When set up and ready to go, it would split rocks. No issues with splitting performance. Speeco did cut some corners in the construction of the machine that I would urge them to correct:

1. The hydraulic return line is a joke. It's rubber hose connected to fittings with hose clamps. I removed the hose and old fittings and replaced them with 3000 psi hydraulic hose and fittings. Was this entirely necessary? Probaly not, but for $52.00 retail (read a lot less for a manufacturer) there is little justification for cutting corners like that.

2. The trailer coupler is worse than junk. It's probably shaped to handle a square trailer ball 'cause it don't like the round 1 7/8 ball on my tractor. $21.00 for a new one.

3. The tongue is made of crappy sheet metal that is thinner than the tin foil I wrap sammiches with. A trailer outfit will send me a new 3x3 xs 72 tongue for $62.00.

4. The "jack" almost took my GD fingers off. A kickstand jack with a foot plate is on order for $38.00.

I just don't get why they cut corners like this. for less than $180.00 retail, this thing could have (and will be) built to last.

richg said:
I just don't get why they cut corners like this. for less than $180.00 retail, this thing could have (and will be) built to last.

I have been in the retail business for 45 years and I can assure you that customers will sell out their grandmother in a heartbeat for a quarter. They will save money no matter what it costs them. And if Lowes Tractor Depot wants the price at $999.95, and is buying 70% of the factory output, then the manufacturer either complies or goes out of business.

This is why Stihl will not sell to big box stores. Only by selling to retailers who can educate the buyer can they retain their identity. Few manufacturers have this kind of strength, however. I often think of the Maytag washing machines we bought back when they were sold ONLY by Maytag dealers. Management decided to go for the big money at the chains, who soon demanded lower prices, which meant lower quality. Today, Maytag is just a rebranded Whirlpool.

All easy upgrades.....I have adress all but the return line, No need there. Engine upgrades as well, just look at the go-carts is the place to start.

Ya, it is seldom that one buys something and likes everything about it. Most make it their own machine by doing the upgrades you find necessary. But I agree it is a shame they cut corners sometimes when they should not. In the end I think it causes folks to buy a different brand the next time and over time that will hurt them.

Status
Not open for further replies.