Huskee Cover

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heartwood

Sep 30, 2007
N Central PA
I plan on covering my new Huskee 22-ton out in the back 40. Speeco sells a cover, but no retailers stock them. Their cust svc said to have Tractor Sply order me one, but I'll be darned if I'll get stuck with something that's junk. I need to see it before I buy it; I've had grill covers last only six months. So...does anyone have one of these custom-fit log Speeko splitter covers? Or does anyone have any ideas for covering a splitter other than a big green tarp?

Thanks.
PJ

A big blue tarp? :lol:

I use "Maine roofing" for covering my splitter . . . and yeah, it's just one of those big, blue tarps.

Eventually, this splitter will be inside a shed.

Another option is to see if you can't hook up with a pool dealer and pick up a torn or used pool liner . . . my Uncle uses part of an old pool liner for covering his splitter. It's a bit heavier and thicker than the blue tarp.

h depot has some heavy dark brown tarps pretty reasonable
rn

Harbor Frieght sells tarps purty cheap.

Peace,
- Sequoia

Its not going to be pretty....but better than the tarp is going to be one of those cheap blow up kiddie pools for kids....I had one for three years that was in great shape, but mrs's wanted it gone as it was a little "dirty" Works well over a stack of wood right now :)

A roofing company will probably sell you a piece of EPDM rubber roofing/pond liner for fifty bucks or so. The stuff will last, well they still haven't figured out how long it will last. An easy twenty years. I use it to cover my wood stacks. While it was on the ground waiting to be put on the stacks some animal must have gotten trapped in it because a small hole was chewed in it. I just put a tire patch on it. It has been on the stacks for three years now an looks like the day I brought it home.

HF sells tarps in three grades, which are actually pretty standard... Cheapest are the blue tarps, next are the green or brown, and best is the silver. HF seems to sell the silvers for about what most other places sell the blue ones for, and IMHO the difference is very much worth it. I've had silvers that have been exposed to the weather for 2-3 years and still look good and don't leak, where the blues I've had out for similar times look like swiss cheese... I also think the silvers are the least conspicuous - they don't have that screaming "color not found in nature" look that the blues and greens have...

Other alternatives exist as well, such as the EPDM that BB mentioned, or there is an outfit on E-bay that sells surplus billboard covers - supposedly some sort of super tough rubberized fabric in huge sizes that sounded pretty good (I think it was talked about in the woodshed room) with the only downside being that one side had printing on it - part of the deal is that you agreed to put the material so that the advertising side didn't show...

IMHO the biggest thing if storing a splitter outside is to make sure the hydraulic cylinder is fully retracted, you don't want the chrome plating exposed to any more weather than you can help (Same thing applies to any other hydraulic equipment BTW)

Gooserider

I have the same problem. A good solution for me was the cover that a outdoor barbecue grill uses. They come in different sizes, and you can check the quality. Mine says "Weber" on the side , looks like a grill. It was about forty dollars.

Most of you probably know this already, but one factor affecting the longevity of a tarp is how well it is secured. A tarp that is flapping or fluttering in the wind will wear much quicker than one that is tightly fastened and not allowed to abrade itself to pieces every time a gust comes up.

Matt

+1 on the silver tarps. +1 also for the EPDM roofing. The tarps do need to be weighted down so as not to flap and the rubber roofing is naturally heavy.

Try to size either so that it doesn't go all the way to the ground and trap moisture underneath.

What I have found works pretty well for fastening tarps down is to tie one side down to a fixed object, and a largish split to each grommet hole on the other side with a bit of nylon masons string... Pick splits that are tapered, or have big knots in them so that they won't slip out of the strings... This gives an automatic self adjusting tiedown that will let the tarp pull a bit of slack if it needs to sag under snow or water loads, but keeps it snug even as the wood under it shrinks or shifts, and is easy to get under if you need to...

Gooserider

The Huskee Cover, while not stocked at all stores, is offered at Tractor Supply & available by special order. It would take about a week from order to receipt at the store. It has only been on the market for a year so the word of mouth may not be out there. We here at Speeco back it with a 100% satisfaction guarantee, so if you are not completely satisfied, we will get you your money back through the store. LS470213 is the part# for the large cover that fits 22-35 ton models and LSLS470217 fits the smaller 15ton models.

The covers have the following specifications:
Heavy PVC coated polyester - material is heavy weight
Water,UV and mildew resistant
Cold temperature rated

Carolyn @ SpeeCo

I dealt with Carolyn with a minor issue a while back. If she is saying its quality then its a nice unit. Speeco is one of those companies that suprises you if you have a problem. I needed some minor piece and they shipped it Free Of Charge and had it in a week. Like I said, the company does a great job.

So, burntime, what are you going to do about your avatar now? :lol:

I am a closet Favre fan...we will see this Friday :) Sorry to see him go to the vikequeens though...

Status
Not open for further replies.