Huskee log splitter B&S engine crankcase full of gas!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My splitter with a Honda will start up to -25C without being plugged in.I run full synthetic oil in the engine and ATF in the hydraulics.Seafoam in the gas and no shutoff.I don't move my splitter.Or cover it,much.

You do realize the splitter is not the problem here, right? Right?

I won't get out and use a splitter at anything below 40 degrees or so. Yes, that's a positive number; I simply do not need the firewood that bad.

At -25 degrees (regardless of C or F) I'm inside with not only the wood stove rocking it's life out, but I'll probably be sitting on it.

I'm glad there's people like you that can live in Siberia; I never have and never will.

I won't get out and use a splitter at anything below 40 degrees or so. Yes, that's a positive number; I simply do not need the firewood that bad.

At -25 degrees (regardless of C or F) I'm inside with not only the wood stove rocking it's life out, but I'll probably be sitting on it.

I'm glad there's people like you that can live in Siberia; I never have and never will.
Lol. Yeah..., these last bouts with arctic temps also had me hanging out inside, watching movies, and napping below the equator in and out of a heat induced sleep.

Reactions: WiscWoody
Lol. Yeah..., these last bouts with arctic temps also had me hanging out inside, watching movies, and napping below the equator in and out of a heat induced sleep.
Right on! I take care of my wood collection and splitting/racking from spring to fall off and on then enjoy the fruits of my labors during the winter months. It gets real cold up here too, too cold to be out running my splitter for me anyways.

Last edited:
Reactions: VirginiaIron
I won't get out and use a splitter at anything below 40 degrees or so.

Interesting. It just shows how different we all are. I will hardly ever cut or split wood when it is OVER 40 deg. I prefer something around 30. And after about an hour I am warm enough that I start to wonder why I ever burn wood anyway!

Reactions: Knuckles75
Interesting. It just shows how different we all are. I will hardly ever cut or split wood when it is OVER 40 deg. I prefer something around 30. And after about an hour I am warm enough that I start to wonder why I ever burn wood anyway!
I'm pretty much the same way. If I start splitting when the temp is in the 50s I'm down to just a t-shirt before long. From May to October I rarely do more than just admire my stacks. I'm not saying I go out in subzero weather but I find that processing firewood is the one thing (other than maybe shoveling snow) that lets me enjoy the great outdoors when everyone else is trying to stay warm inside!

Hi southeners
I i feel the same way about where you live.
Can't stand the heat in the summer.
Don't like the fact that you have to be aware of Ticks that can make you sick just from walking around .
Can't stand snakes,both the slithering kind and 2 legged
Don't think much of spiders that can kill you,especially since we are always withing 8 ft of a spider.
Don't really like the fact that your bodies of water contain species of reptiles that want to eat your a$$ or bite you and just kill you.
And even though your typical temp is warmer you still have to process wood to heat your home,plus a lot of you use as much wood as i do.
My shop hasn't been locked since i built it in 1984.
My car and truck parked outside have keys in them.Both my Kenworths parked at work have keys in them.My 950 loader and my 426 Cat Backhoe have keys in them.
I can go cut wood and not worry about where i am cutting,or if someone is going to take my cut wood.
That is just a few points that make the cold easy to take.It is very dry where we live so even -40 F or C isn't the end of the world.There isn't much you can't do if it is that cold,it just takes twice as long.
Unlike when it is hot all you can do is find shade and cool off.
So enjoy your little slice of hell.And i will do the same.
A happy camper in the cold.

I'm pretty much the same way. If I start splitting when the temp is in the 50s I'm down to just a t-shirt before long. From May to October I rarely do more than just admire my stacks.

As it happens I spent most of today working wood for 2020. Felled some trunks I had left stranding last spring and bucked probably 75% of what I will need. Today's high was 22 deg. No insulated anything, just a cotton flannel shirt and a cotton sweatshirt with my regular carpenter's jeans. Lots of sunshine, no wind - a perfect day.

As it happens I spent most of today working wood for 2020. Felled some trunks I had left stranding last spring and bucked probably 75% of what I will need. Today's high was 22 deg. No insulated anything, just a cotton flannel shirt and a cotton sweatshirt with my regular carpenter's jeans. Lots of sunshine, no wind - a perfect day.

During this warm spell, I would have been cutting n splitting for the future but we received some rain so I was busy core-aerating. I also had to fabricate a support out of flat stock for a client.

Well, I reckon I could declare, sir, the the gentleman (FTG-05) is correct. When one lives in Siberia where one part of the popyoulation resides in goulogs and the other fart of population is so cold they are forced to split wood to survive where is someone going to go if they steal a vehicle or equipment with maybe a tank of fuel. Winkidink...
Our summers here are pretty nice and usually the temps are in the 70’s ::F to the low 80’s ::F. Ticks are bad up here at times and we often have a lot of the bad deer ticks too but I don’t use my splitter in the woods so I guess that’s why I’ve never had a problem with them. I have cut wood in the woods but there again, no real problems. The dogs pick up ticks though. I rarely lock my house here and yes the keys are in all 3 of my vehicles at all times. I hang my house keys on a nail in a shed in case somehow the house gets locked. Chow for now...:)

Well, I reckon I could declare that the gentleman (FTG-05) is correct. When one lives in Siberia, sir, where one part of the popyoulation resides in gulags and the other fart of population is so cold they are forced to split wood to survive, one just might ask himself, where would someone go if they steal a vehicle or equipment with a full tank of fuel?
I love the misconceptions southerners have about the great white north.
It keeps you all far away:p

Hi southeners
I i feel the same way about where you live.
Can't stand the heat in the summer.
Don't like the fact that you have to be aware of Ticks that can make you sick just from walking around .
Can't stand snakes,both the slithering kind and 2 legged
Don't think much of spiders that can kill you,especially since we are always withing 8 ft of a spider.
Don't really like the fact that your bodies of water contain species of reptiles that want to eat your a$$ or bite you and just kill you.
And even though your typical temp is warmer you still have to process wood to heat your home,plus a lot of you use as much wood as i do.
My shop hasn't been locked since i built it in 1984.
My car and truck parked outside have keys in them.Both my Kenworths parked at work have keys in them.My 950 loader and my 426 Cat Backhoe have keys in them.
I can go cut wood and not worry about where i am cutting,or if someone is going to take my cut wood.
That is just a few points that make the cold easy to take.It is very dry where we live so even -40 F or C isn't the end of the world.There isn't much you can't do if it is that cold,it just takes twice as long.
Unlike when it is hot all you can do is find shade and cool off.
So enjoy your little slice of hell.And i will do the same.
A happy camper in the cold.

Comments and questions:

- Agree about the snakes, both kinds. It's why I OC a S&W 329PD everywhere I go. Can you do that?
- Spiders don't kill you but they can leave a very nasty bite (ask my daughter)
- Bodies of water around here only contain fish (and snakes), no crocs or alligators if that's what you're referring to
- I use 3 cords or so per year for heat (more for recreational burning); how much do you use?
- We don't even have keys for our house or shop; if someone wants in around here, they could use a bulldozer and no one would notice
- We haven't taken the keys out of our vehicles since we moved here 4 years ago.
- I don't worry about my wood either, in fact my wood shed is about 500 yards away from my house and shop. But see point #1; word gets around.
- It's far easier to get cool than it is to get warm in the cold; our spring and fall here is great. Most of the winter around here is above 50 degrees. It's just this (hopefully temporary) Siberian Cold Front is making it too cold. Last week it was in the 60's. Bet you don't get that very often in the winter!

Like I said earlier, glad you guys like living up there! If someone has to do it, I'm dang happy it ain't me!

Sorry, I deleted my posts I thought were off top.

Last edited:
Comments and questions:

- Agree about the snakes, both kinds. It's why I OC a S&W 329PD everywhere I go. Can you do that?
- Spiders don't kill you but they can leave a very nasty bite (ask my daughter)
- Bodies of water around here only contain fish (and snakes), no crocs or alligators if that's what you're referring to
- I use 3 cords or so per year for heat (more for recreational burning); how much do you use?
- We don't even have keys for our house or shop; if someone wants in around here, they could use a bulldozer and no one would notice
- We haven't taken the keys out of our vehicles since we moved here 4 years ago.
- I don't worry about my wood either, in fact my wood shed is about 500 yards away from my house and shop. But see point #1; word gets around.
- It's far easier to get cool than it is to get warm in the cold; our spring and fall here is great. Most of the winter around here is above 50 degrees. It's just this (hopefully temporary) Siberian Cold Front is making it too cold. Last week it was in the 60's. Bet you don't get that very often in the winter!

Like I said earlier, glad you guys like living up there! If someone has to do it, I'm dang happy it ain't me!
Raining here this morning and last night.
2 weeks ago it rained on and of for a week.
8 cords of spruce to heat our house and boiler building
when its hot it's not easy to cool,i cannot work in the heat but have no issues working in the cold.When it gets hot i stay in my log house till evening comes and it cools off.We have 24 hrs of daylight so why work when it is ungodly hot out.
I havn't taken the keys out of anything at home since 1970
No reason to have to carry here.I could if i wanted.I will not go into the wild without my 12 guage pump.Bear protection.
Anyhow we could go back and forth,but we all know where you decide to live is always better that where others live.That's why we live here.

50 % of this thread is in the weeds. I believe the OP has his answer and the solution. Closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.