Huskee splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's good news. We went to the local TSC today to pick up several pair of 5/8" farm gate screw-in type hangers and naturally they were out. I asked about log splitters and they said there might be one outside in the crate but they hadn't noticed one, mind you this guy has been there since it opened about 10 years ago. Sure enough they had a 28-ton in the crate with a GC Honda engine on it but $1600 is a bit rich for our blood.

Glad you found the Kohler model, keep us informed.

Also does anyone have any experience with the log cradle attachment an the 4way wedge? Worth the expense?

I looked at the log cradle from TSC and it was very light weight. I built my own for zero dollars from scrap I had laying around and it is at least 10 times stronger. As far as the 4way If you are splitting medium size straight grained wood it may work but "22" tons is on the low side for a 4 way in my mind.

Reactions: TreePointer
I got the speeco log catcher. I welded on some 1/2" angles to the edges because the logs kept falling off and it works great now. I agree that making your own would be better if you can.

I have thought about the 4 way also, but most of the wood I am splitting is elm and bur oak so probably not worth it. I usually split big for the outdoor furnace anyway and maul smaller as needed for the stove during the winter.

The SpeeCo log catcher is a useful add on. It's certainly better than not having one at all if you split in the horizontal position.

I made mine with enough angle that it does not hinder the vertical position either. I also made a block that fits over the foot so the wedge goes all the way through the round for the stringy stuff.

I picked up the Huskee 22T from TSC. The manager held it just like he said he would and he gave me $50 off instead of a free cover. So $949 for my troubles. I decided to hold off on the catcher because I can just make one out of some scrap metal I can get at work.

I did buy the 4-way splitter. The instructions say to only use it horizontally and only for soft wood etc. Turns out it really doesn't work well on larger logs. The vertical blade is fine but the 2 horizontal blades are way too short to be of use on anything except kindling. The problem is, as the log feeds past the 4-way it comes into contact with the original spreader behind the blade which spreads the log away from the short horizontal blades. Perhaps if used with seasoned wood it'll work but with wet logs I just can't pry the 2 pieces apart.

Perhaps as I gain experience I'll learn the best time to split. But as of now, I want to get all my splitting done before it gets hot.

I picked up the Huskee 22T from TSC. The manager held it just like he said he would and he gave me $50 off instead of a free cover. So $949 for my troubles. I decided to hold off on the catcher because I can just make one out of some scrap metal I can get at work.

I did buy the 4-way splitter. The instructions say to only use it horizontally and only for soft wood etc. Turns out it really doesn't work well on larger logs. The vertical blade is fine but the 2 horizontal blades are way too short to be of use on anything except kindling. The problem is, as the log feeds past the 4-way it comes into contact with the original spreader behind the blade which spreads the log away from the short horizontal blades. Perhaps if used with seasoned wood it'll work but with wet logs I just can't pry the 2 pieces apart.

Perhaps as I gain experience I'll learn the best time to split. But as of now, I want to get all my splitting done before it gets hot.
Good info. Which engine did yours come with?
Any problems with dirty oil?

Took a little roadtrip today and we did stumble on a fairly recently opened TSC and sure enough they had a 22-ton splitter in stock with the Kohler engine. I took a couple photos of the engine label with my phone and just checked out it out, it's a SH-265 6.5hp made in China. I'm not saying that's a bad thing because I've heard some pretty good things about the engines coming out of China these days. Heck I was looking at Grainger's and the Honda GX engines are now made in Thailand and the Briggs are from China.

It is a nice looking splitter, probably what my son and I will be going with.

Kohler site with Owners and Service Manuals:
http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/productDetail.htm?productNumber=3000 Series SH265

Engine:
http://www.grainger.com/product/KOHLER-Gasoline-Engine-11K737

Also does anyone have any experience with the log cradle attachment an the 4way wedge? Worth the expense?
IMO, the log catcher is a must have, it keeps the log from falling on the tire and hose, last year they were giving them away for free.....the 4 way splitter is probably not necessary, you can split 2 half pieces that are not huge, at the same time making 4 pieces......I love mine and will always recommend it......

Reactions: TreePointer
Status
Not open for further replies.