The price of splitters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodsplitter67

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2017
Woolwich nj
I was at my local tractor supply on Wednesday. Wow how the prices gone up., when I purchased my 22 ton it was 900 and my 27 ton was 1000 both delivered to my house.

Now a 25 ton is 1550 and a 30 ton is 2200 neither with a Honda for that price. both have Kohler.. there are worse engines then the Kohler but for that money.. I thought Honda for sure

20230920_112930.jpg 20230920_113007.jpg

Yea I picked up a 25 ton from the one in sicklerville and paid 1550 plus tax. That hurt but it’s been well worth it imo. The prices people wanted for used wasn’t worth getting it used when for a few hundred more I could have new. Inflations a hell of a thing

Reactions: hobbyheater
Yea I picked up a 25 ton from the one in sicklerville and paid 1550 plus tax. That hurt but it’s been well worth it imo. The prices people wanted for used wasn’t worth getting it used when for a few hundred more I could have new. Inflations a hell of a thing

Thats where I was, in the sicklerville. tractor supply getting tractor paint. I walked by them. just completely taken back by how much they have gone up.

Iv bee taking good care of the 2 that I have. with these prices Ill never let them go. My boy is now big enough that he was able to split on his own this past winter. The initial cost sucks to get one, Id never try to had split all this wood. I did do some hand splitting for a while. The splitter is so much more convenient..

Last edited:
I was splitting all my wood by hand before that, but now I’m getting enough wood available to me that I just don’t have the time to go through and do it by hand anymore.

What kind of tractor do you have? I’ve been getting tons of paint from them for the ford 8n I’m rebuilding

Reactions: ispinwool and Riff
I have the kubuta L series 39Hp fully enclosed cab with heat and ac.

The paint is for a dump body Im putting together. The body company wants almost 20k for a new one.. I cut the old one off and made the same one for 2500 in steel.. between laber and materials Ill have it up and running for under 5k. I have a Lincoln sp 250 mig welder and a plasma cutter and an eager 15yr old son who thinks dads gear is super cool.

That’s awesome what’s the dump body going on?

That’s awesome what’s the dump body going on?

F450 with a 6.7 diesel. They dont make the body's with thick steel anymore .. no primer and barely any paint.. It use to be that just the floor would Where out now its everything.. cross members.. its all chit. Id doesn't make a difference what body manufacturer you use.. its all crap anymore..

Reactions: Riff and weee123
Corporate greed knows no bounds.
I would shift some blame to the houseplant you have in the Whitehouse...
Personally i would him blame him totally if i lived in the USA

Supply and demand. Give a tax credit on wood stoves and they will need splitters and every other gadget so they can burn wood for a year until the next fad. Same people that ran out and bought chicken coops and chickens when eggs got expensive for a couple of months.

That policy was already broken in post #9, I was just hoping for a bit more explanation rather than just baseless political claims
I think my post explained it. Supply and demand, no lack of money or credit to buy with. Not like they are throwing those splitters in the trash, they are selling. I'd raise the price of whatever I was selling right now until the breaking point, then back down a little.

I think my post explained it. Supply and demand, no lack of money or credit to buy with. Not like they are throwing those splitters in the trash, they are selling. I'd raise the price of whatever I was selling right now until the breaking point, then back down a little.
Yah well I think you are right about demand for log splitters being at a high point right now but I'm not convinced that the majority of demand is due to the tax credit on wood stoves. We have had good tax incentives for many years.

Is 30% the magic number that will convince the masses to switch to wood heat? That would be good to know.

Last edited:
Wow I bought the 25T less than a year ago and it was $1300. I did have to buy the oil, though!

Funny how that just added $49 and say "free" oil.

Yah well I think you are right about demand for log splitters being at a high point right now but I'm not convinced that the majority of demand is due to the tax credit on wood stoves. We have had good tax incentives for many years.

Is 30% the magic number that will convince the masses to switch to wood heat? That would be good to know.
No, it's not just the tax credit for clean burning wood stoves. It's the fact that people have more money than time and sense.

No, it's not just the tax credit for clean burning wood stoves. It's the fact that people have more money than time and sense.
Those folks aren't splitting their own wood. They're buying split wood or hiring people to split and stack for them.

Buying a wood splitter means you're planning on doing a lot of work splitting and stacking.

Not supply and demand, it’s inflation. The value of our dollar has dropped.

:rolleyes: There is no "breaking point", but a gradient in units sold versus price, the result of which is a parabolic curve showing profit. This parabola starts with zero profit with infinite units sold at $0, and ends with zero profit at zero units sold for infinite dollars per unit. Somewhere in between, you will find maximum profit for a high number of units sold at a reasonable price.

Claims of corporate greed for commodities are made only by people who have never worked in consumer sales of commodities. In a market without "designer" branding, the lowest price usually wins maximum profit.

Reactions: cahaak and salecker
Maybe it is just the cost of living in your area, but that same log splitter (25 ton Countyline) at Tractor Supply in my neck of the woods in Virginia is $1,200. I bought mine about three years ago for $900 (they game me a special discount-it was priced at $999).
1696611225399.png

Maybe it is just the cost of living in your area, but that same log splitter (25 ton Countyline) at Tractor Supply in my neck of the woods in Virginia is $1,200. I bought mine about three years ago for $900 (they game me a special discount-it was priced at $999).
View attachment 316316

I think the Black Diamond splitters sold here are pretty much identical, and given the exchange rate are almost the same price.

Dad bought one last year, pretty nice units

Yes there are pricing diffrentals between east and west coast vs middle America. Additionally freight comes into play, the slow boat from Chi-com got really expensive- although it has receded a bit,. As most these come in on the west coast there is the added freight to all points east.

View attachment 316316

Thats very interesting.. thanks for posting

Yes there are pricing diffrentals between east and west coast vs middle America. Additionally freight comes into play, the slow boat from Chi-com got really expensive- although it has receded a bit,. As most these come in on the west coast there is the added freight to all points east.

Don't forget the tariffs. Biden spent his campaign criticizing Trump's tariffs, but 3 years in, he hasn't done anything to remove them. They are really having a huge impact on the cost of all goods and components coming out of China, right now.

I buy a lot of components from a German company, but because their primary manufacturing is now in China, I'm getting hit with these tariffs on every order.

Another factor is steel prices, steel really peaked in March, so depending on when the splitter was built there may have been additional cost passed on to the retailer.

Bought my 25t TSC several years ago on sale for either $900 or $999. Used the magic covid check from the govt. wanted to turn the free from thin air money into a physical asset asap. Did they same with the 2nd check, turned it into a noisy item and some shiny items. All three now worth much more. Don’t think its political to realize that 33-35 trillion in debt will lead to inflation. And we haven’t seen anything yet, told all my young friends to lock in home ownership at 2.5%. They ignored me, and are now complaining about higher rent and 7.5% interest. Having a first mtg of 12% teaches you things.

Status
Not open for further replies.