Husky 346 xp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
peterc38 said:
mywaynow said:
I really need an all-around saw, and I am bucking large trees, upwards of 42 inches.

The 346XP is an outstanding firewood saw and cuts "big" for its size/weight. Having said that if you are bucking up 42" trees IMO you should be looking at a much larger saw (70cc +). Even with your concerns about weight, a larger saw is going to get through the cut on a big trunk much faster than any 50cc saw and hence probably give the user less fatigue in the long run.

I agree and this is coming from someone that owns both a 346 and a 372. I cut quite a bit of 42" and greater wood an i feel that my 372 is to small for the job. The 346 stays in the truck when working with anything larger than 20" it just was not made for stuff that big. Yes, it will cut 20" wood but it is a limbing saw and is amazing at doing what it was made for.

I do love the 346 for all the reasons that everyone else mentioned but i think 42 inch wood is a little out of its league.

Nic36 said:
mrfjsf said:
Very good quality saw. Buy one and you'll need a lot of rags to wipe the smile off your face everytime you use it.

That's the way I feel every time I run my 372XP.

The 372 will definately be my next saw purchase.

I do have to agree with the others and say if you are REGULARLY bucking anything larger than say 20-24", you need to step up to a 70 cc saw. The 346 will do it, but I think you will soon find yourself wanting more saw. See the first line of this reply for my opinion on a 70cc saw :)

How much of an upgrade is the 346xp going to be coming from my current Poulan 18" Wild Thing w/36cc engine? I have beaten my way through these larger trees with that one so far. But it is on it's last legs. The chasis seeems to be twisting during long use causing issues. I have to think the 346 will be more than night and day, and that is a good enough change for me.

I have a 55 husky its a great saw but over all I like stihl saws the best, parts are easy to get which is very nice not that you need them often. Seems to be a lot more stihl dealers and locations than huskey were I am and TSC just dont carry much of a selection and hardly any parts.

mywaynow said:
How much of an upgrade is the 346xp going to be coming from my current Poulan 18" Wild Thing w/36cc engine? I have beaten my way through these larger trees with that one so far. But it is on it's last legs. The chasis seeems to be twisting during long use causing issues. I have to think the 346 will be more than night and day, and that is a good enough change for me.

The 346XP is one of the nicest pro saws made....the wild thing is homeowner junk..... night and day difference may be an understatement.

If you have a 70cc or bigger why in the world would you want a 50cc saw....just saying!

smokinjay said:
If you have a 70cc or bigger why in the world would you want a 50cc saw....just saying!

Because sometimes, faster is just more fun than bigger! My daily saw is a 372, but I'm also eyeing a 346 because a lot of the work is bucking small stuff in my yard. While it's pure ecstacy to watch the 372 with a new chain and tuneup blow through an 18" pine, the 346 will be a good second saw and "yard-work" type saw with less weight... Sort of like guns, just because you have the .44 mag doesn't mean you don't need the 9mm too...!

moosetrek said:
smokinjay said:

Because sometimes, faster is just more fun than bigger! My daily saw is a 372, but I'm also eyeing a 346 because a lot of the work is bucking small stuff in my yard. While it's pure ecstacy to watch the 372 with a new chain and tuneup blow through an 18" pine, the 346 will be a good second saw and "yard-work" type saw with less weight... Sort of like guns, just because you have the .44 mag doesn't mean you don't need the 9mm too...!

Yea I hear you but a 500.00 11lb'er. Give me a top handle for that work and leave ever-thing else to a 70cc+++ saw's.
Faster is always better, if you can run that 372 like it should be ran.

mywaynow said:

It would be like the difference between driving a V6 mustang and a GT500. If that is a good enough change for you, then buy one and dont look back.

smokinjay said:

Safety, the majority of my cutting is done in brush and on rocks. The 346 allows me to be much more agile while walking through the brush and climbing over rocks. Also most of my trees fall on rocks so the limbs are up at head height and swinging around the 372 with a 32 inch bar is quite exhausting. Trust me I use the 372 when ever i can but a 50cc saw dose have a purpose even when you own a 70+cc saw.

smokinjay said:

If you had a job that required a 1/4" inch drive ratchet would you use a 1/2" drive?

CSAW said:
smokinjay said:

If you had a job that required a 1/4" inch drive ratchet would you use a 1/2" drive?

Ratchets have nothing to do with cutting through timber. 70cc is only 2 lb's heavier 28-32 inch bar and I dont even need to bend or reach.
There is nothing a 50cc saw can do better than a 70-80 NOTHING! Get the best saw in your hand and USE IT.............

Archer39 said:
smokinjay said:

Safety, the majority of my cutting is done in brush and on rocks. The 346 allows me to be much more agile while walking through the brush and climbing over rocks. Also most of my trees fall on rocks so the limbs are up at head height and swinging around the 372 with a 32 inch bar is quite exhausting. Trust me I use the 372 when ever i can but a 50cc saw dose have a purpose even when you own a 70+cc saw.

I see the point but a saw thats only a 1lb or 2 lighter wtf? They make limbing saw's that are around 8lb's great limbing saw and with the micro chain very quick work of brush and can be ran one handed if need be.....So my point to the 70cc with a 50cc back-up or limbing saw what ever you want to call it. Your missing the boat. 372 an awesome saw If I would walk up on any cutting site the first thing I want to see is the 70-80cc saw up and running. Thats the production saw. If theres a 90cc saw or bigger running loud and proud means the jobs almost done. 50cc saw works for the guys cutting dead fall out of there own woods. (they only need one good saw) but to have a 50cc saw and a 70 just doesn't make any sense.

I don't want to hijack the original thread with an augment but its more like 4.25 pounds difference between my 346xp NE and my 372xpw (Yes, i have weighed both). That 4.25 pounds does make a difference to me and i am still young and in very good shape. And this is a firewood/home heating forum not a lumber production forum. But i do understand your point, I work in a commercial industry and understand what professional and productive equipment is all about.

Archer39 said:
I don't want to hijack the original thread with an augment but its more like 4.25 pounds difference between my 346xp NE and my 372xpw (Yes, i have weighed both). That 4.25 pounds does make a difference to me and i am still young and in very good shape. And this is a firewood/home heating forum not a lumber production forum. But i do understand your point, I work in a commercial industry and understand what professional and productive equipment is all about.

Yea the point is get one or the other. 70-50cc combo is not a great 2 saw plan. Now a 70 and a 30-35cc saw now your droping the weight, and speeding things up.

Back to the OP the 346 is a great 50cc saw. 346 and a 390 or 395 now there's a 2 saw combo.

I love my 346 and it puts a smile on my face every time I use but if you are cutting as big a wood as you claim, I would go at least with a 372 if not a 7900. Yes, they weigh more but you are going to be done much faster.

Or, if you want a really awesome saw, get a 2171! ;-)

My Stihl ms290 56.5cc was $359 at Every dealer. It is an awesome saw that does everything i need it to, and for less than $400. SOLD ;-) It is 2lbs. heavier than the 346xp, but I'll live with it.

HittinSteel said:
mywaynow said:

The 346XP is one of the nicest pro saws made....the wild thing is homeowner junk..... night and day difference may be an understatement.

Yes!
How about sunny day and eclipse of the moon!

But, if you are determined to stay with a 50cc saw, I would find a 261. It is going to have a little more power than the 346 but you lose some of the nice handling for it.

smokinjay said:
CSAW said:
smokinjay said:

Ratchets have nothing to do with cutting through timber. 70cc is only 2 lb's heavier 28-32 inch bar and I dont even need to bend or reach.
There is nothing a 50cc saw can do better than a 70-80 NOTHING! Get the best saw in your hand and USE IT.............

I beg to differ. When I'm limbing a tree or in tight quarters I'll be at least twice as fast with my 346XP 16" than I will with the 372 and a 24" bar. The saw is more nimble and has better balance for the task.

tool for the task...some people need a 8lb sledge to drive roofing nails dude.
Also, arguing on the internet is like the special olympics you know ;)

TMonter said:
smokinjay said:
CSAW said:
smokinjay said:

I beg to differ. When I'm limbing a tree or in tight quarters I'll be at least twice as fast with my 346XP 16" than I will with the 372 and a 24" bar. The saw is more nimble and has better balance for the task.

top handle is even quicker......

Also, if you are considering the Stihl MS261, consider finding a used Stihl 026 maybe at pawn shops. Basically the same saw.
Around here, they always are full in the spring as the people who hock stuff to pay taxes (guns, anything w/ spark plugs)
will let them go cheap. I think the going price for an 026 is around $150-200 in great condition

jlove1974 said:
tool for the task...some people need a 8lb sledge to drive roofing nails dude.
Also, arguing on the internet is like the special olympics you know ;)

And what your running you darn sure dont have a dog in this fight!

Status
Not open for further replies.