Husky 359 Chain Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mayhem

Minister of Fire
May 8, 2007
Saugerties, NY
Finally got to use my new 359 over the weekend, couldn't be happier with it, sucker really chews throught the wood. Predictably my chain got duller over the course of cutting and I decided to throw my spare chain on to keep up the pace for the day and file them both at night. Except the Husky chain I got from the dealer when I bought to saw doesn't want to go on, seems too short for the bar. When I hold the OEM loop up next to the spare I can clearly see the one that came on the saw is definitely longer, but not by a ludicrous amount...the spare loop is also definitely longer than my old Craftsman/Poulan 18" loops.

Checking the box, the spare chain is a Husqvarna H48-68 chain. 3/8 and .058. The numbers match the numbers on my bar and the pitch looks right when compared to the OEM chain...but I think its a few links too short. Can anyone tell me if a 68 link chain should fit with the 20" Farm Tough bar? I think I need a 72 link chain for this, but wanted to ask people who know more than I do before I bother driving to the dealer.

20 inch bar should be 72 links.

DL count is marked on the bar. Count your chain to see if it is correct for the bar. And check to see if the chain is .058. Many times dealers will sell the more popular .050 to everyone. Sure it will go on since its smaller but you won't cut straight and it will wear out your bar fast. Stihl RSC is good chain!

HittinSteel said:
I think the 68DL is for an 18"
Not always as a Dolmar 18" is 64DL. You have to look at the bar to know for sure. I never assume a given length is a given DL.

wkpoor said:
HittinSteel said:
Not always as a Dolmar 18" is 64DL. You have to look at the bar to know for sure. I never assume a given length is a given DL.

With hittensteel he is pretty darn slick with the husky line up!

You are right WK! You need to look on the bar, it will tell you the number of DL needed.

I just happen to be shopping for a chain for my 55 with a Farm Tough bar. That's why I'm pretty sure it's 3/8" .058 68DL for an 18" bar.

smokinjay said:
wkpoor said:
HittinSteel said:

Just added another one......... 346XP is on its way! The 036 Stihl has left the building.

HittinSteel said:
smokinjay said:
wkpoor said:
HittinSteel said:
I think the 68 is for an 18"
Not always as a Dolmar 18" is 64. You have to look at the bar to know for sure. I never assume a given length is a given DL.

Just added another one......... 346XP is on its way! The 036 Stihl has left the building.

lol This should be interesting.......

It's a CAT model, so it will need some "work" before it's ready to go.....

New Muffler (followed by a drill bit and a dremel)
Unlimited Coil

HittinSteel said:
It's a CAT model, so it will need some "work" before it's ready to go.....

New Muffler (followed by a drill bit and a dremel)
Unlimited Coil

Like to see after a year what one you like better....036 is a lot to give up for a 50cc saw.

I prefer to skip the 60cc class.

Snappy light 50cc and something smooth in the 70cc class. I'm really interested to see how the 346 compares to my 260.

There was a nice 2159 Jonsered (same as the Husky 359) on Craigs recently that did catch my eye though

;-)

HittinSteel said:
I prefer to skip the 60cc class.

Snappy light 50cc and something smooth in the 70cc class. I'm really interested to see how the 346 compares to my 260.

There was a nice 2159 Jonsered (same as the Husky 359) on Craigs recently that did catch my eye though

;-)

I am with you on that thinking...However there is always at least 2 360's on every job we do...There are a recking machine in the right wood.

I have a Dan Henry Power Ported 346 that will knock your socks off. 40% gain over stock. Pulls a full comp full chisel square ground chain with authority. 4 secs in 11 cherry. Sold my Woods ported 357 that last I heard was doing well in the circuit. I here the new 346NEs are doing even better. In the 70cc plus class its almost impossible to beat the Solo 681. Runs like a ported saw right out of the box with nothing but a muffler mod.

Yep, I limbed and bucked a sugar maple last weekend with the 036. It was a nice saw and did a good job......it just didn't excite me whole lot. To be fair though, it was the first few tanks after rebuild and was still breaking in.

Yup. Bar says 72DL right on it.

Back to the dealer I go!

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.