Husky 359 problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NRGarrott

Sep 22, 2013
Annapolis, MD
I purchased this Husky 359 a year ago, used, off Craigslist for $250. Since then it has been very temperamental, and the chain brake would stay in a partial on-position, overheating the clutch. I have removed the chain brake. My friend tuned the saw the other day for me, and it has been running great. The idle speed sounds like it is touch high, but she stays idling, and the clutch does not engage. The high speed sounds perfect. I only run true-fuel through the saw.

Today after cutting for 30 minutes I ran out of fuel. I refueled, added bar oil, and when I went to restart I got a no-start condition. Tried for about 5 minutes, than added choke, it would turn over, cough, then die. No choke, and it wouldn't even cough. I used another saw to finish up, and brought it home. Over an hour had passed and it still wouldn't start. I pulled the fuel filter, air filter, and plug. Do they look OK to you guys? I am not a small engine mechanic, but I am fairly mechanical if need be.
20140706_155557.jpg 20140706_155605.jpg 20140706_160911.jpg 20140706_161107.jpg 20140706_161112.jpg 20140706_161118.jpg

After reassembly she runs great.

Tried for about 5 minutes, than added choke, it would turn over, cough, then die. No choke, and it wouldn't even cough.

Sounds like fuel is sometimes not making it to the carburetor. I'd check the fuel line for leaks. Typically they crack in the little gap between the point where the hose exits the fuel tank and the point where it enters the air box / carburetor area. If you remove the air filter then you can pull a few inches of the fuel line up so you can get a good look at it. Stretch it out a little, bend it and roll it back and forth in your fingers while looking closely for cracks.

You should also carefully inspect the clamp where the intake attaches to the cylinder. The original clamp on most of these saws was plastic. It's a very common failure point, and when that plastic clamp breaks it creates an air leak which makes the saw run lean, which makes it run too hot and can easily destroy the piston and cylinder. I would check that out carefully before running the saw any more at all, because the updated replacement intake (now with a metal clamp) is a fraction of the price of a new top end.

Reactions: TreePointer
Status
Not open for further replies.