Husky 435 for limbing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

midwestcoast

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2009
NW Indiana
Okay here's the story. I've only been burning for one season. I'm a scrounger & have been getting only yard trees (big trunks & many limbs). I bought a recon 455 Rancher when I needed a saw in a hurry, then later ended-up with a sweet deal on a used 359 with a nicely done muffler mod. It has had a few little problems, but I'm learning to do minor repairs & I'm very happy with the power & weight.
Problem is I now have 2 saws about the same size & really need a lighter one for limbing.
I recently cleaned-up many fallen limbs & 2 trees in a friends yard in exchange for the wood and some good karma. Today I bucked-up a load of mulberry 3-12" diam and the saw was a bit heavy in the heat & sun. I've been thinking of selling my 455 to get a limbing saw, or possibly trading it in at a dealer (do they do that?).
I figure I could get near the price of a new Husky 435 by selling my 455. So who has a 435 & how do you like it?
What other saws should I be looking at in the $200-$300 range (light-weight, rear-handle, reliable)? I don't yet have a relationship with a dealer, but have Stihl & Husky dealers local, no Dolmar around.

I find that the more powerful saw and a long bar are the easiest way unless we are talking twigs 6in. and under in that case I like the top handle saws.

We are talking twigs to some extent. I take anything burnable when cutting in yards to miniize the brush they have to deal with.
Are top-handles more dangerous for casual users?

midwestcoast said:
We are talking twigs to some extent. I take anything burnable when cutting in yards to miniize the brush they have to deal with.
Are top-handles more dangerous for casual users?

I dont think so, very light and have never even felt a kick back with mine...They are very fast with the small stuff. I run it pretty aggressively and still no issues. Now what you dont get with a top handle is leverage so if you try it go over 6in. it starts slowing down.

Echo has a 330t and a 360t (pretty well priced) I have a firend that has the 330t she is 48 years old any loves that saw I keep her chains sharpen for her. Big reds dad has the 360t and know he got to be up there in age and I think he really like it as well.

Sir,I would think that a 435 would do the trick. Do not get anything bigger than a 16 BC. I think Sears has them for around $250, or the Stihl 211 is getting some good reviews. I would keep the 455 and sell the 359,Ken

Thanks Ken, I'll look at the 211. I'm thinking of a 14" B&C.
I'm not considering selling the 359 as it fits better as my "big" saw (Jay is snickering at that...). 359 is lighter, noticably more powerful, can pull a 24" B&C if & when I need it and is easier/cheaper to fix as it's pro construction. 455 is a fine saw, but I'll keep the 359 without hesitation.

midwestcoast said:
Today I bucked-up a load of mulberry 3-12" diam and the saw was a bit heavy in the heat & sun. I've been thinking of selling my 455 to get a limbing saw...
You talk about a limbing saw but complain about weight when bucking? In 30 years I've never complained about weight with my 65cc saw. Mind you, for light limbing, I use one of these.

SANDVIK1.jpg

I'm thinking a top handle saw would be nice for climbing but for limbing on the ground, I'd like to put a longer bar on my 65cc saw for the reach. I like having the power when limbing. When limbing, the chain gets pinched all the time and a whimpy saw would stall the chain much sooner. At least with a bigger saw you have more time to get the saw out of the kerf before the limb rolls over and traps it.

For bucking, I want to go bigger! Maybe trade up one of your saws for a bigger one.

LLigetfa said:
I'm thinking a top handle saw would be nice for climbing but for limbing on the ground, I'd like to put a longer bar on my 65cc saw for the reach. I like having the power when limbing. When limbing, the chain gets pinched all the time and a whimpy saw would stall the chain much sooner. At least with a bigger saw you have more time to get the saw out of the kerf before the limb rolls over and traps it.

For bucking, I want to go bigger! Maybe trade up one of your saws for a bigger one.

Not quite the kerf of most top handle saw is .043 very small and very rarely get pinch and when they do your working on very light wood anyway use your other hand to lift it and your out...easy peasy! (again only good up to about 6 in.)

I have an Echo 330T. I picked it up used on ebay for $50 with good compression. Little saw runs great! Put a good chain on it and it cuts great!

LLigetfa said:
midwestcoast said:
Today I bucked-up a load of mulberry 3-12" diam and the saw was a bit heavy in the heat & sun. I've been thinking of selling my 455 to get a limbing saw...
You talk about a limbing saw but complain about weight when bucking? In 30 years I've never complained about weight with my 65cc saw. Mind you, for light limbing, I use one of these.

SANDVIK1.jpg

The "bucking" was a scrounge of mulberry mostly 3-6" diam a bit up to 1o or 12" and 3'-8' lengths that I cut-up using the tailgate (F-350 height) as a sawbuck as I pulled if off the truck. Not really typical bucking. I just think there's a better tool for the small stuff which I've been getting a lot of and since I have 2 saws of same size, why not trade one.

Maybe I shouldn't have used the term 'Limbing'. I'm looking for a little saw to handle 2-12" wood.
Do dealers generally accept used saws in good condition as Trade-Ins? If so is it brand specific ie. Stihl dealers only take Stihls as trades...?

midwestcoast said:
LLigetfa said:
midwestcoast said:

SANDVIK1.jpg

The "bucking" was a scrounge of mulberry mostly 3-6" diam a bit up to 1o or 12" and 3'-8' lengths that I cut-up using the tailgate (F-350 height) as a sawbuck as I pulled if off the truck. Not really typical bucking. I just think there's a better tool for the small stuff which I've been getting a lot of and since I have 2 saws of same size, why not trade one.

Maybe I shouldn't have used the term 'Limbing'. I'm looking for a little saw to handle 2-12" wood.
Do dealers generally accept used saws in good condition as Trade-Ins? If so is it brand specific ie. Stihl dealers only take Stihls as trades...?

some will some will not but if you want good resale on it sale it on ebay!

I'll try it if needs be. ebay is jammed with 455 Ranchers though (big-box returns I guess), so prob take a while to sell.

midwestcoast said:
I'll try it if needs be. ebay is jammed with 455 Ranchers though (big-box returns I guess), so prob take a while to sell.

just check it out a good use one should bring 275.00-325.00...Your going to see a lot more of these saw on ebay because they sell so many of them..

I'd take that. That's what I paid to begin with :)

midwestcoast said:
I'd take that. That's what I paid to begin with :)

run it no reserve (starting price 39.00) take a chance they normally go higher than you think... Get it very clean and take pic's in the sun and show everthing.

Thanks for the scoop Jay. I'll try craigslist first & the bay if it doesn't move.

midwestcoast said:
Thanks for the scoop Jay. I'll try craigslist first & the bay if it doesn't move.

really tough to move on craiglist

Status
Not open for further replies.