HUsky 455 problem, need advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ret55

Feb 15, 2009
OK
I was cutting today, and the chain came off, really jamming under the clutch cover. The cover came off with much difficulty. The chains damaged the plastic parts under the cover, but nothing beyond use. The bad news is the brake is in the closed position., and I cannot put the cover back on like this. I know what needs to happen to open the brake, but is must be a special tool to open it. Any suggestions short of bringing to a repair station?

RET

Drop two bolts into the holes that the studs go through, then clamp the bolts in a bench vise to hold the cover so you can reset the brake.

Next time disengage the chain brake first and the cover will come off with no problem.

I did this once to my 455 - not fun.

I fixed it by getting the cover with the brake handle to fit back on enough to engage the three toothed (I think) knob that disengages the brake. I had to take some of the other parts off that were in the way to engage the tooth wheels (I might not be using the right terms). I wasn't able to get the cover on completely, just enough to get the brake to disengage.

Good luck.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.